Access to a boiler's isolating valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently preparing to re-tile the area around my kitchen sink. Directly above the sink is my combi-boiler. I've built a box one-foot square and an inch deep to cover the pipes, which I plan to tile. The problem is this new tiling will destroy access to the valve for isolating the mains water supply to the boiler. My DIY skills don't stretch to fitting another valve in a better location.

Is it a problem that I have no way to isolate the boiler from the mains water supply without turning off the whole house?

If so, I was thinking I could cut a neat access hole in one of the tiles (in a similar way to the rough holes in the backs of the kitchen cabinets to access similar valves). Perhaps the size of a 50p piece; just big enough put a screwdriver through to turn on/off the valve. However this hole will be in full view, directly above the sink. Is there such a thing as a removable cover to make this hole look good? Any other tips for such a problem?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
The problem is this new tiling will destroy access to the valve for isolating the mains water supply to the boiler.

Dont tile it then! You will only be gutted when you have to trash the tiles to get to it again.

Is it only the cold water valve you wont be able to get to? What if something goes wrong with the boiler and you need to get to the rest of them?

Would it not be possible to create a boxing that does not need to be fixed and then tile it? Perhaps a tiled box with some other discreet fixing?

There are pretty bits of curved wood you can buy specifically for covering combi pipes but they are over priced and over rated.
A true DIYer would be inclined to create something special themselves.

I would agree with the "removable box" idea. Have done this many times , sealed to the wall with a small amout of silicone which can be knifed through to allow removal.

I have also been to a few houses where I have had to destroy similar casing below the boiler for access.

Don't forget, access is also required to the gas valve for servicing the appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back