Removal of taps when no isolation valve

Yes, its a combi Mottie, so I'll follow your advice. When I have closed each valve I assume I will need to drain the water that's in the rad with a tray under one of the valves that I loosen first?

Sponsored Links
You can do but depending how big it is, I usually stick a thumb over each outlet, lift the rad off the wall and take it outside to drain. It helps if you turn it upside down as soon as it’s off the wall. If it’s easier, get someone to help with the lifting and upending.

If it is your intention to just remove the rad for the time being ,there is no point in removing the valves ,just fit cap nuts to the valves. As for draining the rad ,if it has the drain cock that you mentioned earlier ,you may be able to drain the rad from it.
As said show us a pic

Sponsored Links
Hi All, radiator and valves successfully removed and pipes fitted with stop ends. Not too much water spilt !! I have attached a photo of the lockshield valve with what looks like a drain off point with a square key inside !!
20210203_105109.jpg
20210203_100507.jpg

Yes ,it is a drain cock. You would close the valve ,then remove the square shaped spindle . Fit a hose and open the rad valve.

Thanks for educating me !! Not seen a valve like that before. You live and learn when you use DIYNot !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back