Can't isolate water supply to replace kitchen taps

17 Jul 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I noticed a leaking cold tap in my kitchen & tried to find the stopcock so I could isolate the water supply.

However the 1 I found only isolates the water in the bathroom (sink & shower) but kitchen tap still running.

What can I do to find another stopcock as I need to get this fixed before the leak increases. I've checked for a 2nd stopcock under kitchen sink or in any cupboard.

I'm in a 1st floor 1 bed flat, early 1900s, with a combi boiler.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Perhaps there will be means of isolating at the entrance or on the pavement outside.
If you are struggling, suggest get a pro in as pipe will most likely be imperial and if very unlucky heavy copper that will not accept commonly available fittings
Are you in a tenement? Usually there's one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen and they are usually found in the soil stack risers as that's where the rising mains are normally run. Has the kitchen been modified from original, if so that usually skews where the pipework is run from.

Alternatively, as suggested, there should be a mains toby directly outside the close door for the whole building, though the chamber will probably be full of stuff and the toby down deep and locked solid, so may need the water transporter out with their heavy duty key unless someone's been in there in the last few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links