Outside tap isolator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stopcock to isolate my outside tap is under the sink and I turned it off in December. I then used one of those cheap kits outside - a bit of plastic and some foam tubing around the tap. This morning I needed to fill a bucket with water outside so I turned the tap on and it ran normally (maybe a bit slower than usual, but not much). Only then did I realise that it shouldn't be running at all as it was isolated! Clearly the stopcock isolator is letting water through. I have turned it off very tightly but still to little effect. Is there a fix for this or do I need a new stopcock? I have covered the tap with lots of towels wrapped in plastic for tonight but any advice welcome. Please note that the stopcock is not stiff and turns normally.

Sponsored Links
Is it a T shaped handle , traditional screw down type ? If so, it probably just needs a new washer.

If it’s a gate valve type ( red hand wheel) then it will need replacing but a standard compression tap has a rubber washer which is replaceable.
A quarter turn ball type valve will need replacing too.
Best give us a pic if you can.
John :)

It's a t-shaped handle. Can I replace the washer easily without turning off the mains?

Sponsored Links
No .you need to turn off the supply upstream , and drain out. Then you can disassemble the stopcock.

I remembered that I have Homeserve so I rang them. A guy arrived, fiddled for a couple of minutes with a flat-head screwdriver and said it was fixed. Apparently the washer had jumped out of place. I didn't test it as I have wrapped the outside tap in all manner of stuff to prevent it freezing again but he assured me that it would be OK. I'll have the whole lot replaced when the weather improves.

Well, to be fair, I've just been out to check it and it is completely dead - no water coming out when the tap is turned. I poured some hot water onto it just in case it was frozen inside, but it wasn't. So the mystery is - what did Mr Homeserve do with the screwdriver to fix the stopcock which was letting by quite badly?

Here is the stopcock that he fixed and also a picture of my insulation of the tap. Two small towels wrapped around the tap, covered by a plastic bag. All tied and taped very securely. How much would you guys charge for such a professional job?:LOL: It took about 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 20210209_125810.jpg
    20210209_125810.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210209_125901.jpg
    20210209_125901.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 135
Which one of those copper pipes goes directly to the outside tap ?

The lower one, taken from the rising main. It has that t-shaped handle on the stopcock.

The uppermost pipe has an isolator on it that is turned with a flat blade screwdriver......is it that one that goes to your tap outside, rather than the traditional stopcock we can see?

The uppermost pipe has an isolator on it that is turned with a flat blade screwdriver......is it that one that goes to your tap outside, rather than the traditional stopcock we can see?
my thoughts exactly when a screwdriver was mentioned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back