Outside tap

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by skye16, 25 Sep 2021.

1. skye16

skye16

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have an old outside tap that is dripping and weeping from where the pipe enters the bottom of the unit.

I want to replace it, but I cannot turn off the water. The mains stopcock is after the tap, inside the kitchen. There is an outside stopcock, but it is underneath large paving slabs that I cannot lift.

Where I live is very remote, and it is difficult to get a plumber. On top of that I am old and I am shielding.

I was thinking of some possible options, that I would like help on.

Try to freeze the pipe. Perhaps wait till winter.

Turn on all the cold taps and try to fit a straight coupling with an isolation valve.

Are there any other ideas?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. skye16

skye16

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The pipe is 15mm. About 6" below the hole, you can just make out where it connects at right angles to much thicker piping. Not sure if it is lead piping there.

4. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Freeze the pipe . It's a wonder that doesn't freeze in winter ,very poor installation really.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That’s not good practice either. If you can’t lift the slab, then freezing it is. Have you tried tightening the nut? Also it’s not secured to the timber anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. skye16

skye16

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies.

The wood at the back is rotten, so I am replacing it with a new piece. It is a poor installation, but I do cover the pipe with insulation in winter. The metalwork is in a bad state, and a new tap kit only costs a tenner.

I have more questions if you could help.

Will the pipe freeze OK, if it is dripping? (Water moving slightly.)

How long have I got to work on replacing the tap?

Can you recommend a decent freezing kit?

7. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Rothenberger freeze Pak ,will give you around 20 mins work time. Yes ,will freeze if tap drips.
    I suggest you buy a stopcock . Freeze pipe ,cut pipe with pipe slice ,fit stopcock. You can then work above the stopcock at your leisure to fit garden tap.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It also depends on the weather, and if soldering, we use Arctic Hayes, and they’re supposed to last up to 30 mins iirc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. skye16

skye16

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to have a go at freezing it, using compression joints.

The nut underneath has been done up really tight. I thought I would take off the paint at the top of the pipe, and cut the pipe as high up as I can. After cleaning this, I can fit the new tap hopefully.

Last two questions:

Is it a good idea to get brass screws for the backing plate so that they don't rust?

What is the best way to insulate the pipework? (Having said that, we don't get much snow or hard frosts, just plenty of wind and rain.)

11. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brass or stainless steel screws. The replacement timber needs to be rot proof, if you want it to last. You can buy outdoor pipe insulation, although you could simply wrap it in old woollen jumper, if you protect it from the elements.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Insulation doesn’t stop freezing altogether, just delays it, so could prevent it in winter, but another beast from the east and it’s likely to freeze and burst.

• Like Like x 1
  13. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you have a pick axe dig a little hole at the edge of the slab, put the axe there and lever the slab up and to the side.
    You really need permanent access to the main stopcock.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1