Advice on leaking stopcock tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all. My stopcock tap is leaking, a drip not a flow. This appears to be coming from one connection back from the stem of the tap.
I'm asking what my options are.
There is a 22mil blue plastic pipe from the mains, and a 15mil copper pipe on the upside of the the tap. Am I allowed to turn off the water from the outside stop which is in the pavement outside our house, or is this only allowed by the Waterboard. Would some kind of freeze spray work on the blue plastic pipe and be strong enough to stop the mains pressure. Is there a sealent that may stop the leak from the tap.
Any advice welcolmed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes you can turn the mains off outside and I would just replace the stop tap inside .It will be either 20mm or 25mm blue alky more likely 25mm

Thanks. I have just purchased a new stopcock.They only had 22mil or 15mil. I have bought a 22mil with a reducer to 15 mil. I think that's what is on there now. I will see if I can turn off the water outside tonight. I know where the outside pavement stopcock is, but I haven't tried to open it or turn it off before. If I struggle I think it'll be plumber time.

Sponsored Links
the blue pipe before the stopcock is not going to be 22mm-it will be 20mm or 25mm MDPE .You need a stopcock to take MDPE at one end and 15mm at the other-only cost a few quid.

Or you could try tightening or repacking the gland nut as suggested -do a search on here for how to do it.

londonben said:
Thanks. I have just purchased a new stopcock.They only had 22mil or 15mil. I have bought a 22mil with a reducer to 15 mil. I think that's what is on there now. I will see if I can turn off the water outside tonight. I know where the outside pavement stopcock is, but I haven't tried to open it or turn it off before. If I struggle I think it'll be plumber time.
I think it is already £100.00cash :oops:

tomy said:
yes you can turn the mains off outside and I would just replace the stop tap inside .It will be either 20mm or 25mm blue alky more likely 25mm
Surely not alcathene tomy? Blue would be MDPE, methinks.

londonben said:
Thanks. I have just purchased a new stopcock.They only had 22mil or 15mil. I have bought a 22mil with a reducer to 15 mil.

Was this a high street hardware shop? a proper plumbers merchant will have a stopcock to fit blue plastic at one end and copper at the other. Try to get an accurate measurement for the outside of the plastic pipe, or it might have an identifying makers mark down the side.

If all else fails when you take the old one off, be sure you can put it back if the new bits don't fit.

If the water is coming out round the spindle of the valve, this can easily be tightened up with a small spanner or repacked, but if you get the chance to practice on an old one that will reduce the chance of doing it wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back