Outside tap replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an existing outside tap that has a female thread at the end and allows hose attachments to be screwed on. It isn't able to stop completely the flow of water on it's own and requires that it's dedicated internal stopcock be switched off inside.

I would like to change this tap but every one I've seen in the usual diy sheds and online retailers sell a bib tap with what looks like a tapered end like a draincock ? Can the original tap be replaced like, for like or should i just replace with a the draincock style tap?

Related question is there is also another stopcock connected to the end of a pipe inside the garage which will never get cold enough freeze. Any suggestion on the best kind of replacement to allow a hozepipe to fit that tap too? Perhaps I should just replace with normal stopcock and en fit a tap connector after the stopcock?

As ever any advice most gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I would like to change this tap but every one I've seen in the usual diy sheds and online retailers sell a bib tap with what looks like a tapered end like a draincock ? Can the original tap be replaced like, for like or should i just replace with a the draincock style tap?

If your talking about one like this.
then the end on the spout unscrews so you can then screw your 3/4" hose pipe fitting straight on.
untitledyy.jpg

Related question is there is also another stopcock connected to the end of a pipe inside the garage which will never get cold enough freeze. Any suggestion on the best kind of replacement to allow a hozepipe to fit that tap too? Perhaps I should just replace with normal stopcock and en fit a tap connector after the stopcock?

why don't you keep the stopcock and just fit a section of pipe to a wall plate then fit another tap same as above.

It sounds to me like you have a dripping tap.

Change the washer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot Seco - really helped me out. I had no idea the end screws off as you describe !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back