Replacing tap but no isolation valves in flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be very grateful for any advice on the following. I recently purchased a flat that has an electric wet central heating system. I believe that the same system also heats the water supply.

My current problem is that I need to replace a tap in the kitchen but there is no isolation valve. Next to the boiler there is a valve marked "crane" (not sure if that acts as the stopcock) but the concierge of the development told me that the stopcock is in fact situated outside my flat.

I could ask for the stopcock to be turned off, but not sure if I then have to drain the entire cylinder before I can replace the tap. I am also worried about causing any damage to the heating system, although I guess that both are completely isolated from each other.

Any advice or help would be most welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
as long as you can turn the water off, just turn on the tap until it stops running. Won't be long unless you have a storage tank. No need to drain the cylinder.

You might consider fitting a stopcock on the incoming water supply pipe while you're at it, for ease next time round.

If not happy, switch off the electric heating, shut off the cold incoming water supply then open said tap and drain.
Pete

I had a look at the "crane" website and the valve next to the boiler appears to be a ball valve. It looks as if it sits on the incoming water pipe. Would I be correct assuming that this valve acts as the stopcock?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
maybe.

Try it.

Turn off the boiler, turn off the valve, turn on the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back