TV: Acoustic Solutions Led Constant Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my 10 years old 42" Acoustic solutions model
lcd42761f1080p just over the past year has been acting up a bit, first when I turned it on the led would flash, but then stop I would press the remote and it would come on, but sometimes this would fail and I would disconnect the power leave for a minute turn it on first from the power button on the TV, press the remote and it would come back on, I just put up with this carry on because it had gave me ten good years lol.

though just in the last two months its gotten slightly worse, it's working fine then all of a sudden just turns off, then flashing blue led and now it takes ages to fart about and get the bugger back on, I now know exactly when it will come back on, when I press the TV power button there is a distinct sound inside the TV, like something is kicking in and turning on and I know the majority of the time it will eventually come on, the led may flash a few times but then it stops, I press the remote and it will come on, or it will flash again, but eventually it gets there, the only time I know it won't play ball is when the led constantly flashes, then there's no way it's coming on hope you get the picture, no pun intended.

I'm kind of getting fed up now and I'm ready to launch it lol, and now I've done some googling, and seen some threads and a couple of videos with guys baking there lg motherboard in the oven, obviously mines is not lg but I'm thinking of giving it a try nothing to lose really, but before I do I would like to find out if this problem, is caused by the main motherboard, or the PSU, and I don't know if you can bake the PSU lol, I've looked for replacement boards but not had much luck so far.

so any help from someone who has had a similar problem with this TV, or any other TV and has found a solution, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Acoustic Solutions was (and still is) a budget brand. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but it does mean that the origin of the chassis could be from Vestel or UMC who both make for other budget brands. Maybe it's even Chinese?

The point is that 10 years out of the TV is pretty good service. It could be time to move on.

I would hesitate to use the baking method. Firstly, are you sure it's the MB? Second, I know of no TV service engineers who would offer to fix something by baking bits in an oven. It might produce a temporary fix on a component that is going intermittent, but it's just delaying the inevitable and risking damaging other parts. If you want to use heat as a temporary cure, use a hair dryer. You can even leave the board or PSU in situ, then apply heat to capacitors which can generally be coaxed back to life temporarily if they're going intermittent. I use this method for troubleshooting. This, and a can of freeze spray for any silicon components can help to quickly find a faulty part.

Are you sure your TV is LED rather than the thicker CCFL back light? I mention it because what you describe sounds a lot like an inverter fault on LCD TVs. However, before springing for replacement parts, have a look what's available near you in secondhand TVs. There's quite a bit of 1080p full HD stuff from top brands coming in to the used market as folk change to 4K UHD sets. You might even pick up something with a HD Freeview tuner. That will give you a nice boost being able to watch the main Freeview channels in HD.

Acoustic Solutions was (and still is) a budget brand. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but it does mean that the origin of the chassis could be from Vestel or UMC who both make for other budget brands. Maybe it's even Chinese?

The point is that 10 years out of the TV is pretty good service. It could be time to move on.

I would hesitate to use the baking method. Firstly, are you sure it's the MB? Second, I know of no TV service engineers who would offer to fix something by baking bits in an oven. It might produce a temporary fix on a component that is going intermittent, but it's just delaying the inevitable and risking damaging other parts. If you want to use heat as a temporary cure, use a hair dryer. You can even leave the board or PSU in situ, then apply heat to capacitors which can generally be coaxed back to life temporarily if they're going intermittent. I use this method for troubleshooting. This, and a can of freeze spray for any silicon components can help to quickly find a faulty part.

Are you sure your TV is LED rather than the thicker CCFL back light? I mention it because what you describe sounds a lot like an inverter fault on LCD TVs. However, before springing for replacement parts, have a look what's available near you in secondhand TVs. There's quite a bit of 1080p full HD stuff from top brands coming in to the used market as folk change to 4K UHD sets. You might even pick up something with a HD Freeview tuner. That will give you a nice boost being able to watch the main Freeview channels in HD.

Hi thanks for replying, maybe my explanation was a bit poor, it is an LCD TV, HD READY, with Freeview, I said led flashing what I should have said was the standby light is flashing, though since my original post I've started suspecting it could be the PSU board, only because I seen a video on YouTube, from a repair guy, he had an alba TV another budget brand, and his fault was similar to mine, only difference was I would press my power button and the standby light comes on, then to power my TV up I have to use the remote, and that's when the standby would start flashing, or sometimes it would already be flashing before I even press the remote, but if it stopped flashing there was a chance it would power on.

With the guy on YouTube he could power his up by pressing one of the buttons on the side, slight difference from mine, anyway he went on to explain that there was a common fault on the Vestel PSU boards, where the diodes would go bad there was two diodes tested good and one tested bad it had a short, so he removed it and it still had a short so he replaced the part, then connected the board back up powered the TV on and the problem was fixed, so I can borrow a multimeter and at least test the diodes.

And I have found the PSU board I need online quite cheap, so by the time I bought a soldering iron, solder etc, just as easy and cheap to swap it out, if indeed that is the problem, but I'm also interested in your reasons why you think it could be the inverter board as the fault, or were you thinking that could be the fault because I never gave an accurate description in my original post, or do you think it could still be the inverter board?

So I'd still be interested to here what you think now I have given you a slightly different explanation in this second post, as regards to getting ten good years your spot on, and I'm looking at getting a newer smart TV, but this one can be used in my bedroom, as it basically still works apart from playing up, and if it is a cheapish fix to replace either a PSU board or inverter board, then I don't see much to lose after ten good years of service from my TV, and if your curious I can get the PSU board for 7 quid not including delivery, haven't priced an inverter board yet, thanks for the advice so far.

Last edited:
I skim read a bit, so probably mistook some of what you were tryingntonget across. Now you've explained a little more it's clearer, thanks.

Yeah, it does sound more like a PSY fault. I think I might have stumbled across the same reseller as you for PSUs. It is under £8, so a no brained really.

There was a big problem across lots of TVs with bad capacitors in power supplies. They caused the TVs to fail to start.

Intermittent caps can be encouraged to work for a while if warmed up with a hair dryer.

Silicon works the other way. Apply freeze spray to an intermittent or failing part. While cold, it will work a bit more reliably. These are good shortcuts for troubleshooting.

Sponsored Links
I skim read a bit, so probably mistook some of what you were tryingntonget across. Now you've explained a little more it's clearer, thanks.

Yeah, it does sound more like a PSY fault. I think I might have stumbled across the same reseller as you for PSUs. It is under £8, so a no brained really.

There was a big problem across lots of TVs with bad capacitors in power supplies. They caused the TVs to fail to start.

Intermittent caps can be encouraged to work for a while if warmed up with a hair dryer.

Silicon works the other way. Apply freeze spray to an intermittent or failing part. While cold, it will work a bit more reliably. These are good shortcuts for troubleshooting.

Yep worth a try Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back