TV Picture / Sound break up. Mast Head Amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mast head amp supplying 5 TV's, one of the tv has started to suffer pixilation & crackling sound, this is every few minute or so, lasting for a second or so.
As all the TV's are wall mounted its not an easy job switching them about nor is it easy to change the connections on the amp.
Any ideas if this is more liable to be a tv issue rather than the amp.
The amp is 3 years old & the tv is a 26 lg also 3 years old mounted in a kitchen/dinner but away from any steam/cooking etc.

Sponsored Links
Is this a masthead amp mounted on an outdoor aerial or is the gear in the loft?

Have you checked the signal Quality and signal Strength on the TV's own meter? If Q is low ( <6 ) but S is high (9-10) then there might be too much signal for that particular TV's tuner sensitivity.

Firstly, check connections to the TV.

Secondly, make sure that there's nothing near the relevant TV that could be causing interference. Turn off and unplug everything nearby - especially anything new or newly moved. That includes phones, computers, wireless routers, DVD players, weather station, games machine, fluorescent lights, energy-saving lights, LED lights and anything else electrical.

If that doesn't fix it, disconnect the TV and connect another TV. Borrow one. That will tell you whether your TV is the culprit, with a minimum amount of messing and NO guessing.

Once you've confirmed that the TV is not at fault, then it must lie between the TV aerial socket and the amplifier. (It's highly unlikely that a single output of the amplifier is faulty unless water has got inside.)

There, follow those points and you won't need to call in a professional!

Note: 50% of all such faults are caused by your crappy 99p "fly-lead".
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/tvplugs.htm

Sam & Lucid, sorry never saw your posts.
Nothing around the TV has changed, I have checked connections, all ok.
The amp is a mast head, no loft so mounted on the aerial.
The picture breakup seems only on BBC1,2 & BBC news.
I have checked signal strength using the TV's own meter. It fluctuates.
Its not a £0.99 lead, it was made by the aerial installer.
I was thinking a bad channel on the amp.
I think tomorrows job is bite the bullet & try a tv from another room, its just a pain in R's as all the small TV's are wall mounted.

Sponsored Links
The masthead amplifier should be mounted on the mast - not on the aerial.

Try a different fly-lead just in case. It's the most likely cause and the easiest test to do.

BORROW a TV set for testing. One of your friends or neighbours is certain to have one spare - for a caravan or child's room.

Make sure that there's nothing near the relevant TV that could be causing interference. Turn off and unplug everything nearby - especially anything new or newly moved. That includes phones, computers, wireless routers, DVD players, weather station, games machine, fluorescent lights, energy-saving lights, LED lights and anything else electrical.

The problem might be caused by the masthead PSU if it's overheated or got water inside.
The problem might be caused by the amplifier drop-cable if it's got water inside.

As BBC channels are affected - usually the strongest signals - the signal might be too strong. Easy to fix (simply add an attenuator) but it means spending money. Also, I don't see why the signal should suddenly increase unless it was previously reduced, say by leaves on a tree.

You need to check ALL of my suggestions, one by one, until you clear the fault. No point in guessing. Just take it logically and report back your findings.

BTW it's not a good idea to mount the TV in your dinner - or even your supper! ;)

Sorted::::: Well fingers crossed.
I was in the process of connecting a long lead from where the lead comes into the main TV (that is a smart TV that is brilliant). Anyway because of the connections ie male/female coax, I had to unplug it from the hard drive that's also part of the set up, on changing those connections I came a cross a lose connection into the hard drive. I sorted that out & now all seems well.
Strange that the hard drive was working ok & so was the main TV which is fed from the hard drive, although saying that there is a HDMI connection between the TV & Hard Drive.
I'm guessing the bad connection was due to the TV etc being moved during a bit of house work.

The poor connection was not at the TV with the problem, that's what I don't understand. There are 5 TV's only 1 that had an issue.
Anyway all sorted, next time if there is I will check all cables.
Sam, I know you are good fixer on here when it comes to this stuff. Thanks

Firstly, check connections to the TV.

Secondly, make sure that there's nothing near the relevant TV that could be causing interference. Turn off and unplug everything nearby - especially anything new or newly moved. That includes phones, computers, wireless routers, DVD players, weather station, games machine, fluorescent lights, energy-saving lights, LED lights and anything else electrical.

If that doesn't fix it, disconnect the TV and connect another TV. Borrow one. That will tell you whether your TV is the culprit, with a minimum amount of messing and NO guessing.

Once you've confirmed that the TV is not at fault, then it must lie between the TV aerial socket and the amplifier. (It's highly unlikely that a single output of the amplifier is faulty unless water has got inside.)

There, follow those points and you won't need to call in a professional!

Note: 50% of all such faults are caused by your crappy 99p "fly-lead".
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/tvplugs.htm

Sadly that method is wrong. The braid should be brought over the claws otherwise interference can get in and radiation out. Use this method which is the CAI recommended method.

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

Diyisfun - I find your problem with breakup interesting as I also use Tacolneston as my aerial being in a villiage near Holt. Around the dates you post I had a series of occasions where I lost most of the BBC channels. The TV showed 10, a full signal but quality as 0. I tried several things including checking the belling lee plugs although most are f type on my system (Satcure method of course). I had never considered TOO MUCH signal. Thanks Sam for the suggestion. It has cleared up as the OP's has but if it happens again I'll get my attenuator out or wind down the gain on my Satcure distribution amp a bit (DAT 75 mounted in loft to 4 way dist amp with variable gain). Thanks guys

Last edited:
Sorry Winston1, I thought this forum was meant to be for people to help each other not slag others off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back