TV picture breaking up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son had a problem with his lg led TV the picture was breaking up from the top and vertical lines appeared. He borrowed my TV for a couple of days a Samsung led, and exactly the same thing happened to mine. I have since brought my TV back to my home and the screen problem still exists, therefore I will have to buy a new TV. But I'm concerned if my son buys a new TV and plugs another TV in his house it will do exactly the same. Any ideas it's all weird to me.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Sorry for your problem :(

Although I think it would be extremely unlikely for exactly the same fault to occur on two different brands of TV, due to environmental factors, or electrical problems at your son's house.

In my opinion (and I may be wrong!), it is far more likely to be a coincidence; transporting the TV may have caused some damage, or exacerbated an existing weakness in the set, causing the picture breakup.

Out of interest, did your son have any external devices connected to the TV?
Was it plugged into a surge protected extension lead?
Is the set next to/above a radiator/fireplace?
...and would it be possible to post a picture of the TV, displaying the broken picture?

Could be Hdmi cable failing or dirty hdmi TV port. I had a gold plated lifetime warranty cable I paid £60 for and that got binned. Junk. Puts lines across screen.

Also retune TV at your home address to freeview channels.

Also download a mp4 free video and loads online to test TV picture and load on a USB stick. Then plug in TV USB port and test picture as this will eliminate the hdmi socket problem and prove its a TV fault.
If mp4 picture test plays up you know its not a dirty hdmi port or connector problem and need a new TV

Sponsored Links
One possibility is something connected to the TV is "broken" ( maybe exporting higher voltages toward the TV ) and is damaging any TV that it connects.

a decent amount of ESD and other protection on an HDMI input:

Some equipment that does not have an Earth connection and a poorly designed power supply can capacitively couple a high voltage on the 0 volt of the electronic circuitry.
120 volt 0 volt.jpg

Since the Neutral is connected to Ground some where then the 0v from this item is 120v above the Ground of anything it is connected to.

This voltage is the cause of the weak tingle you can feel on some metal parts of laptops etc. There is very little current flow if the capacitance is small

Provided the other equipment's protection devices can safely sink this tingle current then things are normally OK.

But where the capacitance is larger ( poor design ) or there is a fault then the tingle current may be high enough the damage the equipment.

So why didn’t you claim on the lifetime warranty?
Monster (The brand) requires you to send to America under warranty. I'd be covering the postage and import tax vs £3 I spent on a new hdmi cable never mind the weeks waiting.

Monster (The brand) requires you to send to America under warranty. I'd be covering the postage and import tax vs £3 I spent on a new hdmi cable never mind the weeks waiting.

Rubbish. Your contract is with the retailer under the Consumer Rights Act. Anyone, including the manufacturer, that tells you otherwise is lying. Too late now but for future reference you should have gone back to the retailer. Was it Currys by any chance?

Rubbish. Your contract is with the retailer under the Consumer Rights Act. Anyone, including the manufacturer, that tells you otherwise is lying. Too late now but for future reference you should have gone back to the retailer. Was it Currys by any chance?
Comet was the retailer and they went bust. Bought 2012 if memory serves

My son had a problem with his lg led TV the picture was breaking up from the top and vertical lines appeared. He borrowed my TV for a couple of days a Samsung led, and exactly the same thing happened to mine. I have since brought my TV back to my home and the screen problem still exists, therefore I will have to buy a new TV. But I'm concerned if my son buys a new TV and plugs another TV in his house it will do exactly the same. Any ideas it's all weird to me.

The last advice I heard on large screen TV's, was that they should be transported flat down, to avoid jolt damage to the screen. Was this done in transporting your TV to your son's home?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back