TV pundit sacked for tsunami joke

Sponsored Links
I can't really comment on that "joke", as my knowledge of football ends at "the ball is round and you can't pick it up", hence I never watch programmes about the game. Reading that article I would guess the guy said something like "We'll obliterate the other team, because we are a tsunami". Can someone shed more light on this?

I have noticed the first steps of a Diana/"11/9"-style silliness about this. It is a terrible disaster, and a lot of people have died and those who haven't have lost a lot. But, callous as it may sound, life goes on. Obviously it isn't a joking matter, but we can't go taking offence at any silly comment or reference to it (intentional reference or coincidence).

For instance I saw "Team America" last week, there was a scene where the Panama canal floods and people drown. Yet one of my friends, who is generally an intelligent woman, got all indignant and said "They shouldn't put things like this on so soon after the tsunami!" What what? She went on to say "obviously everyone else in the cinema felt the same because no-one was laughing". Hmmmm, last time I checked, sane people generally don't find drowning funny, ever. Nothing to do with the december tsunami, it just wasn't a funny scene!

AdamW said:
"We'll obliterate the other team, because we are a tsunami". Can someone shed more light on this?

"The ex-Manchester City and Queens Park Rangers striker made a joke swapping the word "tsunami" for "Toon Army", the term for Newcastle United supporters. " - from the bbc

we brits have a reputation for our weird sense of humour - but some people seem to take it upon themselves to be upset on other peoples behalf ...... because someone makes a joke that is 'politically incorrect'

really annoys me... almost as much as everyone running around going 'oh quick give money to tsunami relief' i read somewhere that the money raised for those affected by the droughts in Somalia (sp?) made around 40c per head, Bosnia managed around $4 per head and the tsunami has raised around $600 per head....!?!?!?!? more people die of aids in Africa per month than died in that particular freak of nature and what do people do about that.......

(was a bad thing though)

end of rant mode!

king.module said:
AdamW said:
"We'll obliterate the other team, because we are a tsunami". Can someone shed more light on this?

"The ex-Manchester City and Queens Park Rangers striker made a joke swapping the word "tsunami" for "Toon Army", the term for Newcastle United supporters. " - from the bbc

we brits have a reputation for our weird sense of humour - but some people seem to take it upon themselves to be upset on other peoples behalf ...... because someone makes a joke that is 'politically incorrect'

really annoys me... almost as much as everyone running around going 'oh quick give money to tsunami relief' i read somewhere that the money raised for those affected by the droughts in Somalia (sp?) made around 40c per head, Bosnia managed around $4 per head and the tsunami has raised around $600 per head....!?!?!?!? more people die of aids in Africa per month than died in that particular freak of nature and what do people do about that.......

(was a bad thing though)

end of rant mode!
Just to stop any confusion, the incident happened on the programme " You're On" which is broadcasted on Sky Sports.

Sponsored Links
>Just to stop any confusion, the incident happened on the programme " You're On" which is broadcasted on Sky Sports.

might be wrong but i heard that the statement was edited out and wasn't even broadcast!?!? :confused: !?!?

king.module said:
might be wrong but i heard that the statement was edited out and wasn't even broadcast!?!? :confused: !?!?
No, it's a "live" show so went out on air but was later edited out of the repeats.

To be fair to the bloke he opened his mouth before thinking about what he said, it happens, he apologised on air unreservedly and i feel that should have been that.

pip you didn't answer the question you posed about the lyrics to the oldy song? so what was the song? :)

Lord Rockingham's XI ... Hoots Mon

HOOTS MON - 28/11/1958
3 weeks at #1 - 17 weeks on chart
Hoots mon, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose
Hoots mon it's a bracht bricht moonlit nicht.....
Brilliantly-named Lord Rockingham's XI - actually a 13-piece band put together by arranger Harry Robinson. He shut himself in a caravan at a seaside resort and analysed the appeal of a pile of American records, before settling on a line-up of two tenor saxes, two baritone saxes, a double bass, a piano, an organ (played by Cherry Wainer), Latin American percussion, three guitars and drums and whatever else might be needed.
The band had two hits, the novelty numbers Fried Onions and Hoots Mon, but it all ended in tears with Good and Robinson arguing over the rights to the band's name. (They settled out of court, with Good keeping television and recording rights, and Robinson being able to use the name on tour.)
:?:

Sponsored Links
Back