Two cold rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newbie here.

I recently moved into my house at the beginning of January. The house is a mid terrace and built approx 12 years ago.

My house is a 3 bed, 1 lounge, kitchen with 3 floors. Top floor is one bedroom and en-suite, middle floor comprises of main bathroom (in the middle) and 1 bedroom at the back and 1 at the front. Downstairs is lounge, kitchen and diner joined by small hallway, wc and entrance.

Everywhere is double glazed and the entire house is carpeted.
I am lucky to have a total of 13 radiators and a very efficient boiler. The thermostat is situated in the lounge.

I appreciate that its currently snowing outside right now but having used my heating this week I have noticed some trouble.

The house seems to heat up very quickly, especially the lounge. From calling for heat all rads get hot within a 2 minute barrier and all have been bled. Most have temp control valves and all are set to the hottest.

My issue is with the middle front and back bedrooms. Both rooms have 2 small radiators, both work fine and are extremely hot to touch at high temp.

However, I noticed last night and this morning that both rooms, especially the front were very cold, whereas the rest of the house is very warm. My own bedroom on the top floor is a little cold too.

I have checked for obvious drafts and there appears to be none. Having sat in my lounge nearest the front window just now I can feel a draft of soughts accross my legs. My window is an open bay window with a large section of MDF to place pictures on. I am unsure what it contains but there is no access. This appears to be the cold spot.

Maybe its just me but I cant think of how to prevent further cold coming in. All unused plug sockets have been sealed, the sky cable entrance is covered. No apparent drafts from the windows anywhere. Adequate seals around doors.

Could it simply be the front of the house is colder than the rear?
I have put my heating on constant today at 22 degrees to see if this warms the walls up but any ideas would be great.

....JUST TO ADD

I have just been in the front middle bedroom with a lighter. I have located that above each window are those white plastic air vents that you can open. They are closed but letting in cold air from the tops. Are they easily fixed or bearing in mind I have never used these ever would it be more simpler to fill the the tops in with some putty or similar?

Sponsored Links
Get a smoke match (or a cheapo joss stick will do the job) and find if there are any strong draughts.

Some areas of the room will always be cooler than others so choose your layout accordingly.

If you have external walls then covering them with something will help. Built in cupboards or a bookshelf work really well as insulation.

Don't aim to get rid of all airflow entirely though or you will have a musty smelly house.

How good is your loft insulation? Remember too that when your thermostat has made the space it is in nice and cosy it ain't worried about how hot the bedrooms are! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back