Best place for a room thermostat in an 'upside down' house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where is the best place to have a room thermostat in an 'upside down' house? The 3 bedrooms, bathroom and back door to garden are downstairs. The lounge, kitchen/diner and entrance hallway are upstairs. The room thermostat is upstairs in the lounge. The problem is that downstairs bedrooms remain cold when the lounge gets to a comfortable temperature. Does it make more sense to move the thermostat downstairs? Trying to control the overall house temperature by turning up the downstairs radiators and turning down the upstairs ones means a cool lounge and an upset missus lol.

Sponsored Links
I think you really need to reconfigure the system into two separate zones each on their own thermostat (or thermostatic radiator valves with a roomstat or other means to provide boiler interlock).

You may also need to rebalance the system.

as hot air rises if you have open doors or a radiator in the down stairs area it will have to heat the highest point down
so if you have radiators up stairs and down stairs the downstairs will always be colder
perhaps if you get the upstairs up to temperature turn the radiator valves down 1or 2 degrees and turn the wall stat up 1 or 2 degrees you will get maximum output down stairs with no heat upstairs untill the downstairs cant supply enough heat this assumes fairly open plan and thermostatic valves

Sponsored Links
Best place for a thermostat is always a bit variable anyway. I don't like them in the lounge as that can often get warm esp. when there are a number of people, TV etc. on while the rest of the house is not up to temp.

Made a bit of sense I guess when there were no TRV's , but nowadays it doesn't. For me it works best to be in the bit of the house that is likely to take the longest to heat up and cool down the quickest - which for us is the hallway.

I would suggest getting a wireless stat, as then you can try that out in different places. Remember though to remove the TRV head (assuming you have them) of any rads in the room with the room stat in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back