Thermostat confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Yes I know this is my second topic in one day!)

Our system has 2 zones, one upstairs with its thermostat and open radiator in the downstairs hallway. The downstairs zone has its thermostat and open radiators in the lounge.

I can't understand how it's supposed to work.

The upstairs rads all have TRVs set to about 20. When the TRVs close, the boiler continues to run trying to heat the hallway up to thermostat temperature.

The downstairs zone relies on the temperature in the lounge which is usually unoccupied during the day with the door shut. The lounge reaches its thermostat temperature quite easily and shuts off the zone making the rest of the downstairs quite cold. Also in the lounge their is a gas fire. Of course when this is on warming the lounge the themostat shuts down all the downstairs radiators making the house quite cold.

Is this a normal setup? Can anyone suggest an easy way for it to be modified if necessary?

I am a complete amateur but I would have thought the hallway thermostat and its open radiator should be for the downstairs zone with TRVs on all other rads including the lounge

The upstairs zone could have a thermostat and an open rad in one of the bedrooms.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
heeeellloo and welcome

the simple solution is to turn the room stat up to say 25 deg then each room will look after its self
the only time the room stat would work then would be if you had the gas fire on

Hello,

That solution works OK for the upstairs thermostat (which is downstairs in the hall) although it seems a bit of a waste to run the hall radiator almost continuously to try to get 35.

As far as the downstairs zone is concerned, the problem is that I don't want the lounge to be 25 just so the rest of the downstairs zone get heat. Again its wasteful and uncomfortable if you are actually sitting in the lounge.

Any other thoughts please......................

well mr randell i am a humble bench joiner :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
you predicament is like all off us the system is a compromise you can only control the pump via a thermostat in one [or two] areas
the choices you have is select you main living area and put the room stat there and live with the tempratures in other rooms
you must not turn off the open radiator but you can always turn the system off for a few hours to save continuous running

Sponsored Links
Or Honeywell do a nice wireless zone control system which is programmable for individual radiators. It even detects if you have the window open and turns off the radiator until you shut it. It's called "CM Zone". Alternatively, you could replace the existing thermostat with a wireless one to avoid moving the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back