Two layers of plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am creating an en-suite in the main bedroom. The first layer of plasterboard is fixed to the studs with dry-lining screws. I would like to stick the second layer on so that I can dry finish it.
Is it acceptable to use a "no-nails" type bonder from a tube and gun, rather than mess about mixing plasterboard adhesive?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why don’t you get it plastered? An en-suite is probably 1 days work; between £150 - £200. It may appear a more expensive but you won’t have to double up on the PB & it will look a million dollars compared with dry lining/filling; it will make all the difference! You can dot & dab double sheets of PB with no problems but I would still use drywall adhesive; it costs around a fiver a bag & you can do up to 5, 8 x4 PB sheets with it. That probably won’t even buy you 2 tubes of “No Nails” (maybe enough for one 8 x 4 board!); it’s not even that good & if you really must use pre-mixed, buy a decent trade grab adhesive.

Thanks for the reply Richard. The truth is that I have had two plasterers doing different jobs for me previously, one very expensive, the other very reasonable, but neither have been anything like a million dollars, in fact the finish has always been disappointing. More like the lake district than the salt flats.

I may have been unlucky, but the smooth finish of a sheet of plasterboard is far better than either of them could produce, and as none of the walls in the ensuite will need more than one width (its a funny shape) the only filling will be on the beading at the edges.

I've used drywall adhesive before on brickwork and it really is brilliant stuff, but I wanted the two sheets to be bonded very close together...perhaps I should mix it thinner than I have previously!?

Its unfortunate there seems to be so many “wanna be’s” around & for the unwary, it’s easy to get caught out, after all, how difficult can plastering be! :LOL: :rolleyes: I sometimes see some truly horrendous jobs that even my cat could have done better & even some “pro” jobs that the client appears quiet pleased with leave a lot to be desired as far as I’m concerned; but these guys seem to carry on oblivious or, perhaps, nobody actually comes right out & says “your work is sihte & I’m not paying you"! Previously, the problem has been that all the “good guys” will be well known & tied up with regular work so the ones that are “available” for small jobs are either still somewhere on the leaning curve or just plain useless. You seem to have had a double dose of bad luck but there are good ones to be found, especially now the building industry has virtually collapsed. My advice would be to have another try but don’t employ anyone who isn’t recommended by someone you trust & have a look at their work if you can.

As far as bonding close together, it should be no problem if you have the consistency correct & don’t overdo the adhesive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. The poor work did leave me confused, as the original walls in this house are a credit to whoever did them.....absolutely flat and true. Personally I find plastering extremely difficult and it's the only DIY job (well, and the gas pipe) I won't tackle. Most other stuff you just take your time and research the methods, but plastering is a real skill.....obviously my last two guys didn't have a lot of it!

Marshman wrote,
my time served took years and now you can do it in weeks a college. :LOL:

And that's where the difference comes in Marshy,, and I agree with you 100%.... Plastering then covered a wide range of skills and subjects, many of which are much sought after today. There was a lot to learn ,and these skills are never forgotten. Plasterers labourers, (always the key to a good squad), could even use the tools properly, and help float coat walls, apply render, screed floors etc.......I have said before, that in my opinion, skimmers are "not" plasterers. The quality of the finish will vary hugely too.... Skimming should be,,and is, the most simplest of jobs to do, especially if you have just spent a week or two on a course, and providing you have not bitten off more than you can chew, there should be no excuse for a shoddy finish, when all this is fresh in the mind. The surface is already there to work on,, often, with a better finish before it's skimmed, than after,,, by the time some of these "wanna be's" have gone through the motions. But...like everybody else, people have to learn ,,and probably there will be some good future tradesmen who started off on a course, and will continue to learn and gain experience, but it must be remembered, that when people start charging others for their services, and then deliver sub standard work,,, whether it be a "pro", or anybody else, they should be named and shamed. I was an apprentice plasterer when England won the World Cup,,,(magic) ;) ,, but to this day,,, and after all my years in the trade that I love,,, I never forget,, that I'm only as good as my last job.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back