Adding a second layer of plasterboard to a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm currently turning a spare bedroom into a music studio, and am currently working on the room acoustics....

Three of the room's walls are external, brick cavity. The fourth however is a hollow stud partition wall. I've been advised that I need to add mass to the wall (so that it is more like the other three walls) and the best way of doing that would be to add an extra layer of plasterboard.

Not knowing anything about such things, I wondered if anyone could help me out.....?

1. Is it an easy job for someone with basic DIY skills or would I need to get the pros in?

2. If the second option, what kind of price for materials and labour? The wall is 4m long and 2.2m high - but there is a door in the wall too....

3. Would the new plasterboard need to be attached to the studs only, or to the studs AND the existing plasterboard?

4. What is the thickest plasterboard I could use in this scenario? I've been advised to use X type... Is that an American thing or applicable here too?

5. As the room is upstairs, will I need to consider the additional structural load/weight? Is that likely to be an issue?

Any thoughts or help would be fantastic.

Cheers

Max

PS - hope this is the right forum.... Perhaps it can be moved if not?

Sponsored Links
Max ( with that name assuming some heavy bass lines here?)

There is an acoustic plasterboard you can use . You would need to get acoustic sealant also as stopping gaps and vibration are as important as the thickness.

Have you thought about something a bit more 'studio' like for your acoustics ?

Egg boxes, egg box shaped packing sponge, heavy acoustic fabric curtain?

It is easy enough to fix plasterboard and you can joint it yourself if not too fussy, especially if you are using a layer of something else for acoustics.

Any sockets etc in this wall?

Max ( with that name assuming some heavy bass lines here?)

The Max? The Dread? Or both?!!? Don't mind a bit of heavy bass line type music, but more into Heavy Metal and stuff like that really. Then again, I like Zappa and all sorts of things......

There is an acoustic plasterboard you can use .

I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

You would need to get acoustic sealant also as stopping gaps and vibration are as important as the thickness. Have you thought about something a bit more 'studio' like for your acoustics ?
Egg boxes, egg box shaped packing sponge, heavy acoustic fabric curtain?

Sound isolation/proofing is not so much of a concern, so there's no real need to seal the gaps, etc. It's all about the acoustics - specifically the room modes. The reflect off the solid walls but pass through the stud wall far more easily. I am therefore getting a stranger modal response in the room, and a big imbalance between the two speakers. There are other factors involved but I think this is the main one. Adding more mass will make the wall more like the others (obviously not totally) and will hopefully lessen the left/right difference a bit....

In terms of acoustic treatment, I am fully treating the room with DIY mineral wool type traps and panels.

But they won't address the difference between the solid and stud walls....

Any sockets etc in this wall?

Yep - a light socket and a twin plug socket. I guess I'll need to move these forward or change them some how?

Many thanks for your time and help...

Max

Sorry, I thought 'Dread ' as in Locks .......

anyway -

So am I right in thinking you want the p/b wall to duplicate (as near as possible) the properties of the other walls, rather than just deal with the sound as such?

In which case we may want to move away from a sound board ( which will deaden it) and look at something like a 19mm plank board skimmed like the others , to try and match it

Sponsored Links
HaHa - you are both clever and insightful!

Sorry, I thought 'Dread ' as in Locks .......

Quite right - I do indeed have dreadlocks....

So am I right in thinking you want the p/b wall to duplicate (as near as possible) the properties of the other walls, rather than just deal with the sound as such?

Yep - right again. Any noise attenuation/sound proofing would be an added bonus. But by far the most important thing is what you say....

In which case we may want to move away from a sound board ( which will deaden it) and look at something like a 19mm plank board skimmed like the others , to try and match it

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I follow to be honest. Could you explain some more to a DIY novice? The chap advising me says that mass is what we're after. He said to go for the thickest plasterboard I can get. Anything I guess which will add the required mass and make the wall more like the brick walls.

I'm all ears mate and thanks a million for the help....

BTW - Bedfordshire is where I was born (sounds a little nicer than saying Luton!!!)

Cheers

Max

I think that a 'soundblock ' board will do the opposite of what you want.

The other walls will be rigid and hard and the sound will bounce off.

This is the opposite of what we are usually looking for (and all the more interesting for it)

Few questions -

- is there any movement /flex in the existing stud wall?
- are the other walls gypsum plaster or sand and cement ? ( take off a socket to see type of plaster. I'm assuming blockwork )
-can you tell how far apart the existing studs are ? (Hi Tech - stud finder, Low tech, drill)

Fixing boards will be easy to do if you can measure and use a stanley knife or saw. We can deal with that no problem , but first we just need to find the best solution.

I'm hoping someone else will chip in. Perhaps a cement board ( such as used in wet tiling applications) or plywood would be better than plasterboard.

(Nothing wrong with Luton, bought plenty of music there in my youth from dreads, imports especially but that's when there were proper record shops - I don't live there but I was born in the L&D myself. :D )

Thanks so much for the help mate - really appreciate it.

RE: movement flex. Yes, I think so. If you thump it there is definitely some resonance. It's not flexible like one of those things Rolf Harris uses (!!!) but I'm sure there is a lot more movement at a less noticeable level.

RE: other walls gypsum plaster or sand and cement? I'm really not too sure to be honest. And there are no accessible sockets on the wall for me to check. Any other way for me to tell?

Also, would it be good for me to try to work out what was used on the inner skim? Whether it was house bricks or the more lightweight grey blocks? Don't know if it would make a difference? If it would, would drilling a hole be my best bet and would it answer both questions?

RE: studs. Vertical studs are 60cm apart. I think there are some horizontals too. WIll get the stud finder out and take a look. I guess I'll need to know where they all are so that I can attach the new stuff properly???

Further suggestions as to what type of plasterboard or what to use instead of it.....that would be fantastic.

Cheers

Max

RE: movement flex. Yes, I think so. If you thump it there is definitely some resonance. It's not flexible like one of those things Rolf Harris uses (!!!) but I'm sure there is a lot more movement at a less noticeable level.

Am thinking ply or 19mm board will stop that. If you are not decorating or covering with something else, perhaps no need to skim

RE: other walls gypsum plaster or sand and cement? I'm really not too sure to be honest. And there are no accessible sockets on the wall for me to check. Any other way for me to tell?

text[color] Drill a small hole , you can tell by what dust comes out.text

Also, would it be good for me to try to work out what was used on the inner skim? Whether it was house bricks or the more lightweight grey blocks? Don't know if it would make a difference? If it would, would drilling a hole be my best bet and would it answer both questions?

RE: studs. Vertical studs are 60cm apart. I think there are some horizontals too. WIll get the stud finder out and take a look. I guess I'll need to know where they all are so that I can attach the new stuff properly???

Further suggestions as to what type of plasterboard or what to use instead of it.....that would be fantastic.

Cheers

Max

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back