Kitchen stud wall rebuild help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I need some help with my DIY. My semi detached house is a new build hence the inner shell plasterboards and stud walls 

My kitchen is of the size 2580 X 2470 mm.

The current worktop is laid out in a u-shape pattern. Hence the base cabinets are in that shape. The Wall cabinets are only on 1 single wall. The reason for this I guess is because the additional wall they could have used is just simply a stud wall that partitions the lounge from the kitchen.

I have tapped along this stud wall and it seems pretty much hollow with not much vertical support!

I would like to place a couple of wall cabinets on this wall (i.e. part of the 2470mm stud wall). This I presume (in theory) will mean
1) Take off the plaster board on the kitchen side of the stud wall
2) Reinforce the stud wall with extra timber…. To bear the weight of the wall cabinets

Questions
1) Assuming I am doing this myself, how do I reinforce this stud wall? Will it have to be vertical Timbers going from floor to ceiling? And then horizontal timber joining the vertical ones…And then putting plasterboard back up?

2) Assuming I was going to get someone to do the above mentioned wall (no tiling/painting); what is a reasonable price for the job?

3) Thinking of doing my bathroom as well. It is currently 60% tiled on plasterboards. Will it be a quicker job to just pull all the walls down or go via the process of taking the tiles off?

Thanks

Cooa99

Sponsored Links
this is what i did - i removed the plasterboard and re-fixed 18mm wbp ply to the wall, thus allowing the fitters freedom to screw where they wanted. ;)

the in between bit was ceramic tiled and the top 10" of visible bit above the units was plaster boarded and skimmed

does that mean that you -
1) cut enough hole/space in existing plasterboard so that plywood can nailed across the vetical studs ?.
2) and then plastered over the gaps ?

cheers

css_jay99

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back