Knocking down internal wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right part of the forum.

I'm looking to knock down one (internal) wall in our bedroom.

Firstly, how do I check what wall type it is - I think it is a stud wall (vertical timber uprights with plasterboard sheets either side), how do I check this.

Secondly, how do I go about knocking down one side of the wall (i.e. if it is a stud wall, the plasterboard on one side of the stud wall, leaving the timber verticals plus the other side of the plasterboard intact)?

Thirdly, what do we need to watch out for (e.g. electric cables, pipes, etc).

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to knock down one (internal) wall in our bedroom.

Firstly, how do I check what wall type it is - I think it is a stud wall (vertical timber uprights with plasterboard sheets either side), how do I check this.

Knock it with your knuckle in a few places. Stud wall = very hollow sounding

Secondly, how do I go about knocking down one side of the wall (i.e. if it is a stud wall, the plasterboard on one side of the stud wall, leaving the timber verticals plus the other side of the plasterboard intact)?
Should be able to get one side off without damaging the other. the board will be fixed with either drywall screws or clout nails (drywall screws is the correct method that should have been used). Make a hole and work your way across it.

Thirdly, what do we need to watch out for (e.g. electric cables, pipes, etc).

Yes, watch for both of these. Electric cables should be run in safe zones. Do a google to read up. Detectors can be used for pipes, electrics etc but I don't know if they are 100% reliable. If electric wire or pipe a long way under the board, it may not pick it up. Just go slow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back