Can we layer up plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the board, and need some help please.

We've built an internal stud wall (knocked the wall down between the bathroom and WC, and removed both doorways, and replaced one doorway with the stud wall)
Now we've come to the plasterboarding stage.
We have a gap of just over 18mm on one side of the wall (due to having to have the woodwork match up with the brickwork)
My OH wants to put two 9mm plasterboards on this side of the wall, on top of each other, and then skim this surface.

Can he do that? I thought it would be better to put some wood battens and then one board on instead of two boards.

Who is right?

Thanks in advance.
Mookey

Sponsored Links
Either will work; if you haven’t fitted the PB yet, I would be inclined to batten it out but doubling up on the PB may help with sound attenuation depending on what you’re doing with the W/C – see my next comment.

Are you aware that a stud wall between rooms containing a W/C & another bed room or habitable room (but not an en-suet room) must meet minimum sound requirements! This basically means you need to use Soundblock wallboard & not standard wall board & the stud must contain a minimum 25mm thick sound insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back