Two Queries on Replacing a Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Almost not strictly DIY but I hope someone can offer some opinions.

1. I have an old (probably 15years +) Saunier Daval gas boiler that supplies my heating and hot water. I live in a converted flat so have no water tank, the water is heated as it comes through. It is virtually impossible to run a hot bath, the only method that works is to turn the hot tap on a miniscule amount and let it fill up over about 45 minutes (by which time half the water in the bath is cold).

I have been told by some people that replacing the boiler will make the water run hot properly. Others have said that its all down to the water pressure in my local area and the boiler will make no difference. Other people have said that it is down to the size of the water pipes.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer. Will replacing the boiler improve the hot water situation?

2. My second query is, if I replace the boiler, who should I employ to do so? Is there any real advantage to using British Gas over a local tradesperson? If I use someone local, how can I be sure that they are reputable and will they guarantee the work? What would you recommend?

Help!

Sponsored Links
Best advice is to get 2 or 3 quotes from local guys and BG, ask them for their opinions and suggestions.

Any combi will supply a limited volume of hot water at any one time.

Bigger boiler will give you a better flow rate, provided the mains can supply it, this should be checked first.

What area of the country do you live in ,are you in a hard water area?

If you have a good pressure on your cold supply then a new boiler should make a big difference as they give a far better HW output than the older combis . Gas supply to boiler may have to be upgraded also. As for using BG the chances are they will just contract out the job anyway so why pay premium rates when you could get someone far cheaper and just as good, but try and get someone through word of mouth and not someone who has to advertise for work.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the heat exchanger is scaled up same thing happened to my sd get it descaled before you go down the new boiler route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back