Two toilets on same soil pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had our ensuite refitted a few months ago which involved moving WC pan to be connected into same horizontal run soil pipe as family bathroom adjacent.

The problem that has now appeared is that the water in the WC in the little used family bathroom gets discoloured until flushed.

I assumed waste from new positioned WC is running or feeding back to family bathroom WC, I did drain water completely from family bathroom and flushed ensuite WC and water did partly fill family bathroom WC.

I have attached a rough drawing of layout, my question is would increasing the height of family bathroom WC solve problem, which may be difficult to do, or perhaps the fitting of an AAV in family bathroom?
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Your drawing shows an AAV as the vent - remove that and do the test with the empty pan , like you did before - I recon you need a proper open vent to atmosphere outside the house :idea:

Your drawing shows an AAV as the vent - remove that and do the test with the empty pan , like you did before - I recon you need a proper open vent to atmosphere outside the house :idea:

Sorry, didn't make my drawing very clear, the vent shown is an open vent out through roof...

OK : that makes one less possibility . if you google Marley WC Manifold System you will see how your setup ( if done with the Marley parts) should work - I have to admit I don`t see why yours doesn`t :confused: But then I can`t see your actual pipes : There may be a partial blockage between the WC and the soil pipe if there is not enough fall on the pipe and also you have modern 6 litre flush WC`s - or even those dual flush ones - not sufficient water to move solids effectively :idea:

Sponsored Links
Okay, have looked at the Marley Manifold layout and that is very similar to mine, the new WC in ensuite nearest to soil pipe is a dual flush Geberit concealed cistern, the family bathroom cistern is about 15 years old, same as the house.

I think maybe there isn't enough fall on the pipe and not moving waste properly perhaps.

So do you think that the addition of an AAV at end of pipe in family bathroom wouldn't help?

If I have any sort of blockage whats the best stuff to shift it?

Is the branch for the en suite on the right way ..ie the sweep going towards the stack ?

The pipe is vented and shouldn't need another.

Post a pic showing the soil pipe as it's connected to the pans.

Has to be an installation error.

The pipe is vented and shouldn't need another.

Post a pic showing the soil pipe as it's connected to the pans.

Has to be an installation error.

Here is photo prior to refit, the original WC position is far left, new position is roughly where the white old bath location was near middle of photo. family bathroom is through wall to right of photo.

GALLERY]

Photo of new cistern....

GALLERY]

dual flush Geberit concealed cistern, the family bathroom cistern is about 15 years old, same as the house.

I think maybe there isn't enough fall on the pipe and not moving waste properly perhaps.

If I have any sort of blockage whats the best stuff to shift it?
as I suspected - low water volumes - and as Andy said , but only because you have a built in setup , Jetting. IF you could remove the pan a poke around with wire would break up the pile of solids :mad: Nah - go with the jetting . You`d be wasting time and £ with any liquid unblockers. . Then you need to make sure you give the gerbil cistern it`s Full flush Each time :idea: . Even if you`re on a water meter you`ll be getting less £ than leaving it until another block occurs

View media item 36742Are you saying the old loo has been resited to roughly where the circle is?
If so, are you using the original connection on that junction, i.e. the left one in the picture?

Is the centre line of the waste outlet in the old family WC above the level of the horizontal pipe going left to new WC position. (Like Nige F's suggested Marley drwg.)

Or is it level with pipe and suffering from back wash from new WC position when that is flushed.

Apart from a one way 'cat flap' valve inserted in the pipe between old family WC and new position WC, which they don't make :eek: some sort of height adjustment looks likely. Either raising the old wc or lowering the newly positioned WC.

Just make sure that the newly installed WC has a swept tee and that it is allowing a directed flow outwards to the down pipe.
(Swept tee's make the water flow easier in that direction, but it may have one, but the water is still backing up!)

Can you not call back the plumber who recently installed, he may have a better idea to overcome the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back