Two way lights

If a rocker switch was faced with a live cables at either end would that force it snap back if you tried to flick it in to an open position?
No.

I would suspect it is mechanically faulty (moving parts loose) - even if it switched the lights as it should.

Sponsored Links
I then decided to flick the two rockers on the metal switch that I removed earlier. Bizarrely, both rockers now switch properly. I have never come across that before. If a rocker switch was faced with a live cables at either end would that force it snap back if you tried to flick it in to an open position?

Tripping the RCD probably welded up the contacts, which was what you found when you could not get it to click. It is quite possible for contacts to unweld themselves too. A relay with welded contacts can often be cleared by just giving it a sharp tap.

Tripping the RCD probably welded up the contacts, which was what you found when you could not get it to click. It is quite possible for contacts to unweld themselves too. A relay with welded contacts can often be cleared by just giving it a sharp tap.

Yeah, I guess leaving it dangling upside down by the earth cable after putting the plastic switch back on may have dislodged any faulty internals.

Thanks to both of you for your help thus far.

Sponsored Links
Final update

I used long lengths of telephone cable and a multimeter to check continuity from the upstairs rose to the upstairs switch and then each of the l1/L2/Com to the downstairs switch. I discovered that the coms had been switched over the two circuits. I corrected that and then turned the downstairs MCB back on. The upstairs MCB was still tripping though.

I loosened the dimmers in each of the bedrooms and removed the switched lives. The MCB no longer tripped. I put the switched lives back one by one. Still no tripping. I must admit that I was a tad confused until I recalled the earlier mention of face plate screws hitting cables. On closer inspection I discovered that the live to one of the dimmers has a hole in the cable insulation. I have left that dimmer hanging free in the meantime.

I am so grateful to each of you. Not only have I proven that I did not make an error when fitting the new metal face plate downstairs I have also found a fault which was preventing the lights in the bedrooms from working. Your help was invaluable.

I have also advised the customer to pick up a new face plate for the downstairs. I explained that I had been advised that although the rocker currently flicks properly, it may well be faulty.

Once again, thank you to both of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back