two way two gang switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am looking for a clear wiring diagram for the wiring of a hall stairs & landing lighting circuit. i'm confident to attempt two way switching but am unsure of cable requirements & connections between the two switches. can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
I've tried to explain this in reply to an earlier posting. (6th June 2002 included below). I can draw you a picture, but a)can't work out a way of posting it on to the forum and b) don't think it will be any easier to follow.

The circuit for a single switch will be N direct to the fitting, E direct to fiting and down the switching cable, live to the switch, returned live from the switch to the fitting.

Always switch the live, not the neutral. This way the fitting is not live when switched off.

For a two way circuit, use 3 Core+E between the switches.
Leave the original live in the "common" of the first switch. Disconnect the original return from the switch and connect it to the red of the link cable using a crimp or connector block. Connect the link cable blue to L1 and the yellow to L2. Connect all earths to the box.
At the second switch wire blue L1, yellow L2, & Red common. Earth the box.

Don't forget to take all of the usual precautions, disconnect the circuit whilst working on it, sleeve the earth wires, don't nick the insulation, metal clad cables buried in walls, drill joists through the centre not closer than 1/4 of the span to the support or 4/10 from the support not larger than 1/4 of the joist depth not closer than 3 diameters to the nearest hole, and don't drill through trimmers at all etc. etc.

I have alway relied on a diagram in a Teach Yourself book but having now lost my precious little book I had to search and found another diagram on page 517 of a Readers Digest Repair Manuel
- ''The complete guide to home maintanance''
I have seen these at car boot sales but I should try your library
John H

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back