Tyneside flat- sharing waste with neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of wierd one but here goes.

Live in a Tyneside flat (Think Terraced house split in two). With a modernish kitchen and bathroom extension into the front yard for both up and downstairs flat and this is mirrored for the neighbours.

I own the downstairs flat.

The bath and sink last Sunday in my place were blocked and didn't drain away. I used commercial drain cleaner but didn't budge it neither did plunging it.

My dad and I looked at the 40mm waste pipes and it went through the wall (as far as we could see) into next doors bathroom as far as we cal tell.

We used drain rods and could get 3 drain rods down it before it hit something solid (not sure what). When we laid this outside it was well into next door. comparing the length of the rod to the property.

We couldn't contact next door as it turns out they were on holiday. So we took the decision to remove the pipework and place compression caps on the pipe and re route the sink and bath waste into the drain outside my flat serving upstairs and my kitchen.

I have since spoken to the neighbours who confirmed their bath blocked the same day they went on holiday. They have had a plumber out and he is confused. He states there are no pipes going from her house to the drain outside and he believes her waste comes into my bathroom.

My thoughts are that my toilet flushes into their manhole drain that is on their yard and therefore the bath/ sink water might be connected somehow.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Has anybody lifted a manhole cover and looked inside? Also you mention 2 bathrooms not draining but what about kitchen sinks, do they drain ok?
Sounds like there is join somewhere for both bathrooms to share one pipe outlet. Can you seen a vent pipe above the roof outside? If not then it could be internal up in to loft where there may be the pipe with a vent valve on top of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back