Blocked drain on branch section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a blocked sink which after the usual checking pipework under the sink, we realised was a blockage in the outside drain run. We rodded it and absolutely loads of black gunk was freed and the sink started to flow. We continued to rod the drain until there was no resistance and the water was running clear. Once the drain felt clear and we thought the job was done, the sink was blocked again!

The sink waste pipe drops into the ground then runs for a couple of foot at an angle into the drain we rodded. I'm pretty sure that in clearing the main 12ft drain run, we've pushed some of the gunk into this 2 ft branch section which we can't get to with the rods. There isn't any access from the other end as none of the kitchen waste pipes are visible from the outside of the house.

I've tried lots of soda crystals and boiling water, plunging etc. but having seen the gunk we cleared from the main drain run which had the consistency of mud, I can't see it shifting it.

Any ideas how I can shift this tricky section?

Sponsored Links
If by soda you mean caustic soda then you may have created a plug of solid caustic soda.

Too much caustic soda and not enough water creates a reaction that creates a lot of heat and the un-affected crystals become fused by heat into a solid mass. This is very difficult to remove. When a friend has this happen in a toilet cistern over flow pipe the pipe had to be cut and the solid caustic soda drilled out. It seems the previous owner had used too much caustic soda and left the over flow blocked.

The manufacturers of the caustic soda confirmed this is a known problem when caustic soda is used to try and un-block a pipe.

Thanks - No, I do mean soda crystals as I'm led to believe they break down fat. Haven't used caustic soda at all.

Pressure jetting from downstream may be the only option if you have already tried rodding.

What style of cooking do you do?

Tony

Sponsored Links
. Once the drain felt clear and we thought the job was done, the sink was blocked again!

The sink waste pipe drops into the ground then runs for a couple of foot at an angle into the drain we rodded. I'm pretty sure that in clearing the main 12ft drain run, we've pushed some of the gunk into this 2 ft branch section which we can't get to with the rods. Any ideas how I can shift this tricky section?
so you have a blind junction :cry: .Is the drain orange plastic pipe - if so the final solution is to dig out the blind junction and connect a mini manhole , in plastic. If DIY it won`t cost much more than getting a jetter guy with a small bore jetter hose to go from the inside waste pipe - after cutting it to get access - through to the drain and blind junction . If you get a jetter guy in - let them know there is soda in the drain :idea: From what you describe it`s the old Fat blockage - used to come out as 1metre long solid sausages in the hotel drains I used to maintain :eek:

Thanks both.

First of all, we've only lived here 18 months and there's no way we've generated all that black sludge we pulled out of the drain!

The drain we were rodding isn't plastic, it's clay or concrete. I don't know what the branch is made from as the plastic downpipe from my sink disappears into my floor. I did wonder about sticking my Karcher in the drain but wondered if it would have any impact 12 ft away.

Looks like digging it out might be an option - although a pain to pull up the patio.

I do wonder what the likes of Dyno Rod would do - they must have some kit that deals with this sort of problem.

Dyno would probably jet it, access can be gained from the kitchen end. (And charge you handsomely for the privilege...) If you can get your pressure washer in from the kitchen end then could be worth a try but be prepared for a mess if the gunge comes back up! :eek: Soon repair/replace the plastic section if you need to break it to get access.

If you decide to dig it up, (yes, its a pain but gives you chance to future proof the job!), as Nige has said, fit a small chamber in place of the junction. Soon get some collars to connect from the clayware to plastic. Once the chamber is in situ then access is easily available for future needs.

Thanks both.

First of all, we've only lived here 18 months and there's no way we've generated all that black sludge we pulled out of the drain!

It`s been building up for years before you moved in - like here @ my house , manhole was buried in garden and the run was half full and fermenting :mad: . Rhino Dodd won`t do much more than you could with your karcher - and charge you the price of a new one ;) they have a small bore pressure hose and nozzle - and probably a powered snake - like a roto rooter in the USA. deffo worth a DIY ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back