Strange blocked drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
Property is a 1900 terrace

Noticed a horrible smell coming from the kitchen sink. Investigated it and the problem is the drain in which the waste water from the kitchen sink and the washing machine go into is blocked i think?

There is stagnant water which doesn't ever empty. Only rises to a certain level but doesnt flood and then drops back down but does not empty!

This is not affected by anything from the bathroom at all. So I guess the pipe from kitchen waste going into the main sewer is blocked.

We don't have a manhole cover but can access the drain from where the kitchen sink & washing machine pipe emptys. A conservatory was built over the manhole years ago.

Should I get some rods and try rodding?

Any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you have rods and know how to do it sure, if not then you could try few solutions like lots of hot/boiling water running through down the sink. Adding some/lots of washing up liquid too. This might either clear any blockage or break down any fat deposits you might have that's blocking it. Failing that some drain cleaner/unblocker might do the trick too. Pressure washers in the drains might help if it comes to it.

If not you might need to call a drain company.

Gulley is meant to hold some water, this acts as a trap to prevent smells coming back up from the sewer. However, kitchen gullies take a fair bit of stick over the years, food scraps, fat and grease, soap and detergent, all build up and start to cause an issue. It sounds like there is a partial blockage in the bottom, allowing the water to drain away slowly. Should be something like this, only you cant see most of it as its buried. https://southdownhill.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/img_7547-640.jpg

If you're brave enough you can clean it out yourself. Get a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves, ideally gauntlets, to protect your hands. Marigolds will not suffice. Bale as much of the water out as you can, until you start to come across something more solid. Using a garden trowel or similar, remove as much of the detritus as you can, I really wouldn't use you hand to scoop it out unless you have too, in case there is anything sharp, e.g. sliver of broken glass amid the debris. Clean out debris and any fat/soap build up on the walls, and once empty, if your feeling brave poke something back up the outlet to remove anything stuck up there, and wash the sides down with hot soapy water and an old brush, or use a hose.

If you have a wet vac, then this is ideal for the job. Wickes do a good value one if you want to invest, (still cheaper than calling someone in!) http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-with-Blower/p/215735

If that doesn't work then then you will have to start looking a bit further, but that manhole needs to be made accessible, one day you are going to need to get into it!

Hello.
Property is a 1900 terrace

Should I get some rods and try rodding?

Any advice much appreciated
No , get a cheap mop and buckets of boiling water pour the water and vigorously plunge the mop - repeat until it runs - not rising up and dropping as you described.

Sponsored Links
Thanks people I've made it somewhat better already turning the tape temp knob in boiler to maximum and running it for a while. Will try to completely unblock tommorow

And as for the manhole cover im going to pull the laminate flooring up in the conservatory on the off chance the man hole cover is accessible for the future!

Once you get on top of the problem, soda crystals from home bargains or wilko £1 a bag and every now and then pour some down the grids I've been doing that for years and have never had a problem since as I was having issues with some grids when I moved here 7 years ago. I also changed from using soap powder for the washing machine to a liquid wash.

Would be prudent to 'futureproof' the manhole and fit a sealed cover, with can be covered with the laminate flooring to blend in, thus allowing its removal if needed at a later date to access the drains.

Would be prudent to 'futureproof' the manhole and fit a sealed cover, with can be covered with the laminate flooring to blend in, thus allowing its removal if needed at a later date to access the drains.

Hi. Yes I know what you mean. On the plans the manhole is definitely covered by the conservatory. Hopefully they haven't concreted straight over the top? But im willing to smash the floor up to find it

Managed to unblock the gully with a simple poundland mop... I made sure the head was extra sturdy with the use of some glue. Didn't want to loose the head. One plunge and it shifted completely! As for the manhole. Im not convinced our conservatory is built over it.Only a 3rd of the houses in our terrace have manhole covers. (I looked on plans from solicitors) it actually looks like our neighbours have possibly built there fancy £40,000 extension over it a few years ago. There is a manhole the otherside of my neighbours though so I suppose any issues could be sorted from there?

We plan to get our exstention extended this year. So maybe something can be done about a manhole then?

But for the same of a few hours I will pull the laminate up in conservatory just to see if possibly there is a manhole. If also done properly. If not it's 6" under concrete!

Before you get too excited and destroy the house, check along the rest of the row, if its only every 3rd house that has a manhole, and the neighbours do, the chances are you wont have one. Drains will need to be traced and a build over agreement put in place if they are serving any other property as well as yours before any extension is built over them. Shared drains are the Water companies remit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back