Open drain in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few months ago I bought a house with a conservatory. On the day we moved in we found (hidden inside a cupboard) an open drain.

The drain handles all of the waste water from the kitchen sink, washing machine, and upstairs bath and sink. It sits right next to the iron soil pipe (which of course goes directly into the ground).

This obviously isn't ideal, it can be really smelly and now that I've installed a dishwasher - the smell is even worse (as the waste water is hot). I've contacted a builder to give us a quote for moving the drain and he quoted £1500 to move it outside of the conservatory and patch up the plastic roof. There is no way on earth I can afford that :(

So, I was wondering is there any plastic fitting/pipe that exists that can be inserted into the drain and then the waste pipes can be connected to that (e.g. make the whole thing a sealed unit)? I don't mind the drain being there, I just don't want it open :)

Any advice would be amazing. I can take pictures if it would help.

Thanks,

Luke.

P.S. If it matters, our house does not have a manhole cover anywhere. It's the 2nd house in a 4-house terrace and the drains run out to the left to a shared manhole. It has blocked before and that flooded our conservatory, but it was unblocked from the manhole. I guess we need to consider what that would happen if it blocks again.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a gully to me thats not been moved when it was built any chance of pictures? you could try a cover and re plumb the other supplys in the soil stack not easy but depending on the soil stack condition...

Here's a picture:

Ukp6V.jpg

Obviously the tap will have to go (I've never used it anyway!). The other narrow pipe next to the tap is the water source for the dishwasher and washing machine (which are quite a way to the left of this picture).

The grey pipe on the left that comes in from the side is the waste pipe from the dishwasher and washing machine. The vertical grey pipe is the waste pipe from the kitchen sink. The smaller black vertical pipe comes from the bathroom, it comes through the roof of the conservatory. Obviously the other black pipe that goes direct into the ground is the iron soil pipe.

I was hoping there would be some magically fitting (is it called a "stack"?) that I could push into the gully and then connect the pipes to it with something that looks like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/short-boss-pipe-grey-sp583/17138 but without the top opening..

I'd like to do the work myself, but probably anything that involves cutting an iron soil pipe is beyond me :)

Save yourself a fortune - buy a tin of Jeyes Fluid , rubber gloves and bucket - clean it all once a week :idea:

Sponsored Links
Hah I will :)

But if I did seal the pipes straight into the gully would that cause problems or should I leave an inlet for air to get in?

Problem would be if (or when) the gulley blocks up, you'd need to make any cover removable to allow access if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back