advise on drain please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya, we have lean to conservatory at the back of our house that has been there for around 12-15 years almost as long as the house has been there,

by the looks of it when they put the conservatory up, they had to move the drain from what i think is just the rain water pipe for the roof of the conservatory and the waste for the sink (im guessing) we have a manhole just in front of the conservatory that is all new plastic (polypipe), unaware were this goes, i was digging in the garden after removing a old worn out garden water feature, i noticed when removing it the poly pipe goes to this to what i can only suggest is a soak away, its not causing any problems when you start digging its a big boggy, but not terrible, ?? did the previous person do this as they had no choice?? is this good practise, is this even aloud?

thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks, with out me digging up all of our decking, do you think that the builder would use a soak away for the rain water pipe (on the house) or someone could have made sure this went under the decking?

one thing that does get me thinking is if it was (as i thought) it would be a bit more than boggy/ and there would be bits of food and all sorts?

do drains on detached houses usually go around the house/ or go to next door???

thanks

Builder would probably take cheapest and easiest option, if no suitable storm drain available, then soakway easiest option assuming soil tupe suitable. If the sink waste is going into it then i'd suspect you'd notice, it would stink apart from anything else, foodwaste etc decomposing is not pleasant....

Drains could go absolutely anywhere, without being on site and lifting covers etc then impossible to say where they go. Water Authority may have plans, depending on how many houses use the sewer in question. (If only one property using it the drain is still private and is the property owners responsibility, if shared between 2 or more properties then can now come under the Water Authorities remit.)

Sponsored Links
Check if it causes problems when the soil is already saturated from a heavy rainfall. It also depends on your soil permeability and grading.

Builder would probably take cheapest and easiest option, if no suitable storm drain available, then soakway easiest option assuming soil tupe suitable. If the sink waste is going into it then i'd suspect you'd notice, it would stink apart from anything else, foodwaste etc decomposing is not pleasant....

Drains could go absolutely anywhere, without being on site and lifting covers etc then impossible to say where they go. Water Authority may have plans, depending on how many houses use the sewer in question. (If only one property using it the drain is still private and is the property owners responsibility, if shared between 2 or more properties then can now come under the Water Authorities remit.)

thanks for your comments made me feel better, you never know it might have been something to do with the old water feature, or just a bit of pipe left in the ground, as we have no problems i wont worry :) just was interested, neighbors dont know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back