Conservatory Drains (inside!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved house and now all the vendors furnture is out, have noticed two open drains within the conservatory. The conservatory is "lean to" style and goes along side an existing downstairs toilet and small utility area.

1) Drain 1 is at the back of the conservatory in the corner next to the utility area and back wall of the conservatory. After removing the piece of wood covering the hole, then the polystyrene under that, then the massive clump of damp cushion wadding stuffed down, I found the drain. On the outside, the guttering from the conservatory runs into this drain, as does the washing machine waste pipe. On the wall insde there was mould/damp on the wall.

INSIDE:
ihui.jpg

OUTSIDE
dsf.jpg

2) Drain 2 is closest to the house, in the corner under the kitchen window and as far as I can tell, has one pipe discharging into it which contains waste water from the sinks/dishwasher etc. This was covered with some plasreboard and old carpet!

INSIDE:
sfssss.jpg

sdfsf.jpg

OUTSIDE
w.jpg

These drains are leaving the conservatory smelling of damp so my question is, how can I seal these off to stop the damp smell?

Sponsored Links
There is also a manhole under the laminate flooring I've been told!

Afraid (as has been said) the only real solution long term is to redo the drains. Gullies require replacing with plastic versions which can then be fitted with screwed down (and air tight) covers, allowing access if required but keeping damp/odours in. Wastes and downpipe can be connected with appropriate adaptors as required.

Manhole cover needs checking, if a 'standard' cover, it needs replacing with a screw down sealed cover. This and the gullies need sealing off partly to comply with regs, partly to keep an air tight seal and partly because if the drain blocks, ordinary covers/grids could allow effluent to escape into the room..... Not a pretty sight if that happens. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I really need a simple solution to get through the winter to be able to then look at it in more detail in the spring/summer.

How about framing both with timber and sealing using some kind of timber lid screwed down with a rubber seal? Just need to stop the drain smells for the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back