Drain left in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New here and not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I have just had a conservatory built all the way across the back of my house. My living room and kitchen are off it. The builders haven't moved the outside drain that is just outside of the back door. It is still working and they have just packed it and built the conservatory over it. They have left it so that we have access. They said that they do this all the time but since then we have had a problem with a drain smell in the conservatory and also under our sink and around the rest of the house. They have come back today and have done something different to pack it better. If I put my nose there, I can still smell a drain smell and am sure that this will not make a difference. I asked him what would happen if the drain smell did not go and he just shrugged and said that he was sure the situation would be ok now.

I have never heard of having the drain under the floor in the conservatory and I am sure it must not be the right thing to do. Is this legal and are they within their rights, to let us deal with it now that they have done their best. We are using the conservatory as part of our house, a playroom for the kids. People wouldn't expect you to have a drain under the floor in your living room.

Sponsored Links
Why did you agree to let them do it in the first place?
No access to the drain is no good of course, but having a drain access point in my conservatory is not something I would agree to.
Is the rest done compliant with building regs?
Warrantee, signed off by lba, electrics done legally?

If the drain has a trap, and it's sealed up, won't this cause a problem with sinks not emptying properly etc?

Sponsored Links
...abusive language...posts removed...

I'm not saying 'don't cover it up', just pointing out that it may take more work to sort this out than just sealing the drain. It wasn't me who had the conservatory put in anyway.

A screwdown sealed with grease frame and cover designed for internal use.

monkey-gun.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back