Open Drain in Consevatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought the house with this drain and planned to build rear extension, however Covid19 has pushed that plan back a bit so I'm looking for a semi-permanent solution to this open drain which is throwing up sewage smells. I've read about durgos but not sure they're appropriate. I'd like to know what all my options are, even if it means putting a stack in and going up through the conservatory roof. But obviously I want the cheapest and easiest way to deal with this problem, if indeed there is one. Don't know how the previous people lived this way for so long to be honest!

The house is 1910ish and most of my neighbours have bathrooms at the back of the house above the kitchen so we're probably smelling all their business (our bathroom is at the front). We have a manhole cover down the side return - adjacent to where the inside drain is. The drain itself is situated around 1m from the side wall inside the conservatory (lower half is brick-built and upper half is UPVC glazed). There's a back door (kitchen) between the drain and side wall and it's a step up so a smallish pipe could possibly run out to the side under the door step.

As for the drain? It's standard square of around 6x6 inches, open and has the kitchen sink and dishwasher going to it via pipes which empty above the grate. And the conservatory itself is used as utility so have another sink and a washing machine going to it in the same way.

So what are my options please peeps? I'm not an expert so please talk to me like I'm a young child!

Sponsored Links
you have to get the sealed screwed down type cover and ensure you leave access to it by not completely covering over or leave an access point in the flooring used some way.

Not sure that's possible with my set up - see pic
Drain1.jpg

this open drain which is throwing up sewage smells.
That drain should have water in it at all times, to stop sewer gases coming out of it.
If not, it's either broken, or some other problem is causing the water to be removed from it.

Sponsored Links
If it's got water in it - get a tin of Jeyes Fluid and dose it regularly.(y)

You have kitchen and washing machine waste settling in the trap and breaking down like a mini sewerage plant so thats where smell could be coming from.
Your going to have to get the marigolds on to clear it out and disinfect from time to time..being in a warm conservatory doesn't help.

A small wooden cover would help between cleans and could be made so as to make removal and future cleaning relatively easy.

That drain should have water in it at all times, to stop sewer gases coming out of it.
If not, it's either broken, or some other problem is causing the water to be removed from it.

There is water in it most of the time but a while back (over a year) it was dry and I noticed a crack at the bottom of it. I was going to get someone to look at it but then it filled up again and the smell stopped. Of course had the extension plans gone ahead it would have all been dug out by now!

Having had a good look at it today there's some gunge down there - I'm telling myself that it's from the appliances and sink but it looks like old poo more and more - fantastic! My brother has lived in the house most of the time as work has taken me elsewhere. As I've charged him peanuts I guess he's not bothered complaining, plus if the conservatory windows are open you rarely smell it in the house, but still.

So I take it there is no way I can get a Durgo installed? How much would that cost me do you think?

And if the gully thing is cracked and seeping out water, given the concrete under the laminate, what sort of cost am I looking at?

Thanks to all who've replied.

It will need doing whatever the cost , the longer you leave it leaking the more damage could be done as the walls may be sinking in a bog

Empty it out, need to assess the crack first. If hairline, then water loss is fairly minimal, depends how long you want to leave it like it/how much work you want to do now...

If crack isn't too bad/water loss minimal, the best option for now, is to remove the grating, get a screw down alloy cover, cut a hole in the top appropriate diameter for the waste pipe. Extend waste pipe so it goes through the hole, seal around the pipe and stuck down/seal around the edges of the plate with a suitable waterproof mastic. Cost you about £30ish.

If crack is quite bad, you'll have to look at digging the gulley out and replacing. Options are, a stub stack with an AAV, or fit another gulley, this time fit a sealed lid and use the back inlet or boss connections for the wastes.

Empty it out, need to assess the crack first. If hairline, then water loss is fairly minimal, depends how long you want to leave it like it/how much work you want to do now...

If crack isn't too bad/water loss minimal, the best option for now, is to remove the grating, get a screw down alloy cover, cut a hole in the top appropriate diameter for the waste pipe. Extend waste pipe so it goes through the hole, seal around the pipe and stuck down/seal around the edges of the plate with a suitable waterproof mastic. Cost you about £30ish.

If crack is quite bad, you'll have to look at digging the gulley out and replacing. Options are, a stub stack with an AAV, or fit another gulley, this time fit a sealed lid and use the back inlet or boss connections for the wastes.

Many thanks for this. If I got a plumber in to fit the stack and AAV, any ideas on cost?

Difficult to say, floor and concrete around existing gulley has go to come out, then your hoping the drain in in good condition, (no cracks in the pipework), and isn't encased in concrete. If you're digging it out, I'd go for a replacement bottle gulley, with sealed lid, less obtrusive than a stub stack, and you could probably lay laminate over it, (as long as the area above the lid is removeable for future maintenance), and hide it altogether. Stub stacks really need to be in a corner if internal, can be difficult to disguise otherwise. .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back