Tyrolean Render Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Calling out to any experienced tyroleaners out there!

I have some extensive repairs to be done to the walls of my house, I am competent at plastering and have used S&C with great results before but have not dealt with external rendering/ tyrolean repairs before.

The house appears to have 2 coat S&C render with a tyrolean finish. I dont know if the tyrolean is just S&C flicked on or a prebagged mix, I believe it was done in the 20's but may be wrong. It has had many windows blocked up and new windows cut out because of a layout change inside, there are a few thin cracks and a couple of places where the render sounds hollow and will be removed.

I do not have the funds to remove all the render and start again, also half of the house is hundreds of years old and the brickwork is very poor and removing the render really damages the bricks underneath. Therefore I would like to patch and leave any sound render on the wall.

I have a plan that I would like you to cast your eyes over and some questions:

1. Remove any unsound render.
2. Remove any render that is curving out too high, eg at edges where old windows were.
3. Power wash all old render and apply masony biocide to remove lichen etc.
4. Cut out any cracks back to brickwork to about 30mm wide
5. Render all areas removed and patched to 5mm below existing tyrolean surface (scratch coat 4-1 with waterproofer, top coat 5-1 no waterproofer)
6. Tyrolean patched areas level with existing tyrolean (existing tyrolean masked off)
7. Tyrolean over the whole walls
8. Paint

Questions

1. Could this be achieved by one person with a tower and cherrypicker or do you think it will be too much???
2. Do i need to render the patches to 5mm below existing and tyrolean them flush or can it work just as well rendering flush as the whole aspect will be tyroleaned anyway. My thinking is if the 'base' that the tyrolean is to be sprayed onto is similar the more likely you will not be able to see where the patches were, correct me if I am wrong.
3. The only tyrolean guns that the hire shops seem to do are the hand operated ones, ive seen guns with a hopper and compressor that I think would be far more suitable for someone working on their own, can these be hired or do i need to buy the gun (refina etc) and just hire the compressor, can anyone recommend a decent gun?
4. This is quite important: can tyrolean (or a s&c mix) be fired onto existing tyrolean or does it need the tyrolean 'voids' filling first maybe with a roller dipped in the mix (or will this just fall off?) or can you just fire it straight onto existing tyrolean (would the voids then be filled?)
5. Is there a technique to rebuilding the reveals where the wall has been cut for a new window, obviously you cannot use angle beads. I had difficulty last time trying to shape them, I assume there is a trick that is known but I dont know it!!
6. I have one patch needing approx 2" deep render, how do I takle this? Do i screw mesh to the wall, render, allow to harden, screw mesh and render again?
7. Do i need to use stainless steel mesh for this purpose as I believe the waterprooofer attacks galvanised mesh. Same for the bellcast beads.
8. I am used to building up screeds and levelling off those with a straight edge when plastering internally but that is not done externally, how do you level off? with a derby or straight edge? at different angles, fill gaps etc, then when its going off rub up with a float (devil?, cant see point but asking anyway)? I assume that surface once dry is ready for the tyrolean and a sponge rub is not required?
9. Can you knock up your own tyrolean mix as I see cullamix is damn expensive, if so what mix is best?

To anyone who replies thanks in advance, it is really appreciated

View media item 76124 View media item 76125 View media item 76126 View media item 76127 View media item 76128View media item 76144View media item 76145[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back