UFH design for combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a 32KW combi with 8 rads and am going to heat a large open plan extension with a wet UFH system (35 m2)

Doing this DIY and I know nothing about heating engineering.

My plumber, who is a decent heating engineer, mentioned I’d probably need a header on the UFH manifold so as to not upset the return temp / modulation etc.

Sound reasonable? Any other designs? How should I go about sizing the header? (No ive not calculated overall heat loss, do I need to?) Anything else obvious I might have missed?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Close-coupled tees should be sufficient for a UFH manifold, shouldn't need a full header. You shouldn't be sizing anything though, leave that to him - that way, if it's wrong, he can't blame you

Ok cheers, I’ll look into that.

He’s not actually doing any of this work for me, he just gave me a couple of tips on UFH while he was installing my boiler, so I wouldn’t expect him to be sizing it for me.

So am I also right in thinking I don’t need an automatic bypass valve IF I get either a low loss header or close coupled tees?

LLHs seem more appropriate for large systems, mind is fairly small so don’t want to go overkill.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what your heating hengineer is talking about regarding return temps, keep it simple and stick it on an s plan with an automatic bypass.

I'd happily do an s plan if I could get that working with my one or two nest setup (with opentherm, not on/off) - I've just posted another separate thread about that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back