UFH in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just about to update our bathrooms and we will be going from carpet to tiled floors.

Would I be foolish not to install underfloor heating?

If I don't include the shower tray the floor area in the en-suite is 1.7m x 2m. What could I expect to pay for an electric system?

I'm guessing that I would have to switch on the UFH x amount of minutes before showering to feel the benefit (warm feet) but I also guess there is a benefit of drying the room out afterwards?

Sorry about the very basic questions : ) it would be great to hear your advice and experiences.

Ta

Simon

Sponsored Links
I think it would be very foolish to install UFH in such a small area!

UFH gives out about 100W per square meter and in your case in such a small area the heat will be far too low to properly heat the room unless its internal to a heated house with no external walls.

Due to the thermal delay it would need to be turned on at least 30 minutes before use but that's no problem if you know in advance what time as you can set it in the programmer.

Electric heating costs about 15p per kWh whereas gas heating is only about 5p per kWh.

If you can fit it yourself then the kit would be about £200 perhaps.

But its your house so you fit what you like.

Tony

People bang on about UFH being inadequate for a bathroom, but in fact it's ideal. Though they make the assumption you have NO additional heating in there, and I make the assumption that you DO. It's a great supplement to a bathroom that you use everyday - not so good for an occasional guest ensuite (if it's in/on a concrete floor it takes a long time to warm)

Nozzle

People bang on about UFH being inadequate for a bathroom, but in fact it's ideal. Though they make the assumption you have NO additional heating in there, and I make the assumption that you DO. It's a great supplement to a bathroom that you use everyday - not so good for an occasional guest ensuite (if it's in/on a concrete floor it takes a long time to warm)

Nozzle

Your assumption is correct I do have a radiator in there.

There are just two of us and we have 2 bathrooms and a w/c. My thoughts were just to put UFH in just the en-suite as the main bathroom in all honesty will be rarely used.

I suppose I could tap in to the central heating (central heating is going to be updated at the same time) and have a wet system but would that add to much to the floor height.

As you say Agile it is my house I can do what I like but just trying to get some different opinions as there will be things that perhaps I wouldn't consider.

Thanks for your input chaps

Sponsored Links
I think tapping into the central heating would be an error of the highest order! For two reasons 1) wet UFH needs a lower temperature, so you need a separate pump and blender 2) you might want the en suite floor to have the chill taken off when the CH is not operating... so then you need the whole house CH on just for one room??

Nozzle

I've just put a Screwfix winterwarm down flow wall blower in mine.
Put it on a few minutes before a shower, lovely and warm.

I think tapping into the central heating would be an error of the highest order! For two reasons 1) wet UFH needs a lower temperature, so you need a separate pump and blender 2) you might want the en suite floor to have the chill taken off when the CH is not operating... so then you need the whole house CH on just for one room??

Nozzle

Take your point Nozzle

Slippers is always a good option. :LOL: My feet literally don`t touch the floor,slippers off, into shower,out of shower, onto fluffy rug, back into slippers, out of shower room.

Slippers about £3 and no running cost! Always fiddly getting the heel up though. Others don't bother and that's always annoying!

Fluffy rug about £4, no running costs but in addition they absorb water off the feet and then I don't need to bother to bend down to dry the feet so much although I do like to dry between the toes that's all four on each foot!

Tony

Something like warm up electric cable as a luxury item is quite nice to take the chill out of the tiles, not adequate to heat the bathroom though

Slippers about £3 and no running cost! Always fiddly getting the heel up though. Others don't bother and that's always annoying!

Fluffy rug about £4, no running costs but in addition they absorb water off the feet and then I don't need to bother to bend down to dry the feet so much although I do like to dry between the toes that's all four on each foot!

Tony

Slippers all well & good, but when you get to my age they tend to smell of pizz!!!

My ensuite (v small), has tiled floor with electric under floor, as its not a cold room & bearing in mind only in the shower for a few minutes, its permanently OFF.
What I have done is install an electric ladder towel rail, this warms the room & gives a warm towel, it is thermostatically controlled on a low setting on 24/7 it works well.
I have also put a larger electric towel rail in the main bathroom again on 24/7 on a low setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back