1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

UK speed camera tolerances revealed (Somewhat).

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by empip, 17 May 2019.

1. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is an interesting thought, maybe they could keep the current speed limits for longer, something needs to change. I do think the days of those 3 ton, 4x4s bombing along at excessive speeds should come to an end, if they are needed for towing horse box or getting 7 kids on the school run, then they don't need to be capable of doing a 100mph. may be they should become 'special type' vehicles and subject to speed limiters and tachographs.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I don't agree that a "good" driver only has the mental capacity to deal with one thing.

If he's not capable of driving at an appropriate and legal speed while also watching the road, other traffic, and identifying potential hazards, he should go by bus.

4. Thomasthepiperson

Thomasthepiperson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s bad driving what kills not going a few mph over the limit. I don’t condone excessive speeding at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When you look at speed cameras, its easy to argue that an old Gatso or Truvelo, should be hard to miss, but the vast majority of fines are issued from mobile cameras and the new HADECS 3 system. Both of which are largely hidden.

I'm also not convinced high vis makes much difference unless the rider is riding at night. Having ridden high vis police bikes I can say, people still argue sorry mate I didn't see you when you are practically radioactive with the amount of high vis. The issue is how the human brain converts what it sees (with the eyes) to what it expects to see.

Advanced drivers learn to scan rather than look, avoiding keeping their eyes on any one area for more than 2-3 seconds. This helps prevent the brain from filtering the unexpected.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And yet one of the most frequent arguments made for speed limit reduction and enforcement, is that any human being has a finite amount of attention and therefore shouldn't be allowed to drive at such-and-such speed because the chances of him spotting something are reduced. Same with any other distractions like mobile phones or even car radios (to the extremists). In which case, it follows that any time spent looking for cameras, is time and concentration NOT spent on the job in hand.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you often find they're doing 100 MPH on the school run or towing a horse box then?

8. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Some months ago, I was driving along a single carriageway rural road in overcast daylight, with a National Speed Limit. Far in the distance, I could see a cyclist in high-vis, pedalling along pretty much in the middle of the carriageway. "Bloody typical!", I thought. "Taking up half the bloody road when he could be keeping to the left". I was about 200 yards closer before I say the OTHER cyclist (who was wearing the more customary "tarmac-coloured" Lycra on his inside. For me, a really dramatic example of just how good High-vis is! Obviously, at night, it's not much use - unless it also has retro-reflective patches on it too.

9. Sponsored Links