Ukulele

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else play.

I picked one up about 18 months ago and have pretty much played it every day since.

Sponsored Links
I'm playing every day and each day it sounds better. I used to play the guitar but it is completely different. Any tips ?

Keep it up, I am by no means an expert but I can strum out a few tunes. (cant sing very well though lol)

I use ultimate guitar tabs app, its worth paying out for getting the chords etc.

Then I can use the transpose feature to change the register to chords which I am comfortable playing etc.

I learnt all the basic chords and start strumming songs I new, once you get the muscle memory squared away with practice then playin Bb or F7 isnt such a task after a while.

Once you learn a good selection of chords and changing between them it opens up so much options for songs.

Strumming patterns I just make up as I go along but when I started out I used a DVD which taught a pattern called "Wimpy Strong" which is like down up strummed softly (wimpy) and down once more firmly. Most sing along songs will fit to that pattern then you can start jazzing it up a bit.

I would suggest majority of chords would be like

A Am Bb C D Dm D7 Em E7 F Fm G G7

Then additionally

A7 Am7 (played open) B7 Cm C7 Dm7 Em7 F7

I found once I mastered changing from one to the other it became easier. Also G and Em seem to crop up a lot together in songs, And I found it easer to keep the G shape on the fret and just add an adition finger to the 3rd string for the Em.

Hope it all makes sense and keep up the practice :)

Rob

Sponsored Links
I play Uke and guitar, both pretty badly but I amuse myself... probably not the neighbours though. :oops: :D

I play the uke too, though I don't think that well and I have zero compositional skills, all I can do is copy other people's songs!

My partner begged me for a uke for Christmas and guess what, they haven't played it yet!!

Gave mine away couldn't get my head round it............... guitar and piano the same. Sing tenor in opera , play a mean harmonica. plus brass/woodwind xylophone and drums but anything with strings hopeless beyond 3 chord tricks. Maddening

Sponsored Links
Back