Un trusted traders ( BBC inside Out )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A reporter from the BBC program Inside Out has registered himself on the MyBuilder website and another "trusted Trader" site as a tradesman. He has no qualifications or experience in the trade(s) he has registered.

Program will be broadcast tonight ( Mon 29th of January 2018 ) at 7:30

EDIT BBC Web site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42783279

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yeah, but can I point out a bit of an issue with 'tightening up' the security on websites like that?

Firstly, mybuilder is **** for finding trades people. Still, with the internet, the vast majority of tradesmen are found through verbal, word of mouth, this is amusing considering we are in the age of technology.

Secondly, online advertisements and boasting of credentials/ qualifications is not a measure of competance.

Thirdly, the trader (if a good one or a bad one) will use credentials/qualifications to boost their prices, which makes consumers wary about taking them on. It is supposed to give consumer confidence, that's the motivation, but it doesn't always do that. As a result, you can get good tradesmen pricing themselves out of the market leaving con men to pick up work on the cheap.

Fourtly, it can worsen paranoia that a consumer has about being ripped off/finding the perfect builder, leaving them with unrealistic expectations. For example, it may make them fall out with a builder over what is a reasonable variation in price, where a compromise would have worked.

Many more negatives could be added to this list ... ...

-----------------------------------

The trouble is none of these schemes/ articles/ fear mongering are EVER going to act as a suitable substitute for common sense. We need more trust, because that is was builds relationships and gets the best for both parties. I really think the BBC should lay off this type of thing, especially seeing as they are skally wags themselves, threatening people to pay for their **** and nasty programmes.

Also, I fail to accept that every cowboy builder in the UK has chosen this road for themselves? Competency schemes are expensive, if the person in question never got the education, opportunities, money, what else can he really do other than go out and start taking on and ****ing up peoples properties in order to learn? If a bad builder is given the opportunity to learn a better way, are you telling me we wouldn't take the opporunity? Some wouldn't, most would I think.

Also, I'm not defending cowboys who really do know better but are straight up conmen/criminals, but I think this accounts for the vast minority. Most people are honest and good people and I think do their best to the limit of their skills. As a nation, if we were pumping out quality trades people (which is what the educational insitutions are for) you wouldn't need elitist competency schemes, as there would be no need for them, as everyone would be well trained.
----------------------------------

I see many different angles to it.

Is anyone surprised? Apart from, apparently, those who make money from the sites.

exactly :)

afaik checkatrade is now owned by Homeswerve , so maybe all those trades advertising on that site are now supplying Homeswerve with a customer data base:)

Down this way there are 2 (at least) travelers ;) on the site

and imho never deal with any trade who does not have an advertised tel' land line / address

When corgi lost the gas franchise they sold there data base to homeswerve , The Corgi name was also licensed to homeswerve. The data base contained the name and address of every domestic boiler installed in the UK as this was made a condition of corgi registration (which was compulsory )

All in Homeswerves data base now:)

Back