Under control...

Sponsored Links
I bet somebody got a rollicking. :LOL:

Just as well it was good visibility, I've flown in storms where you can't see a blooming thing.

Hardly what I'd call close to be honest.

If you sit at Heathrow or Gatwick you will see situations like this one all the time and heavy jets will often be cleared to long finals with aircraft lining up to take off ... The tower probably expected the Corsair to be long gone and it simply took longer than expected and hence the call to the KLM to go round for another approach.

Nothing unsafe here.

MW

Sponsored Links
Excellent example of a crosswind approach and I'd say that this one was pretty close to the crosswind limits for that type of aircraft.

I've had similar landings where I've been looking out of the quarterlight during the approach rather than the windscreen right down until the flare where I've needed pretty much full rudder to kick the aircraft straight for touchdown.

Excellent fun :LOL:

MW

Have you done a bit of flying megga?

take off and landing is where a pilot really earns his crust.

the bit in-between is down to being able to talk in dulcet syrupy tones.......

"this is your captain speaking, we are currently at 35000 feet and travelling into a headwind at 450 knots"

:LOL:

Infact the captain or first officer controls the take off, landing at several airports is via computer, captain or first officer. when landing by co pilot the option of overide is always there.
Oh and as is the option to overide computer/autopilot

Yes I got my licence in 1983 and have had a pretty varied flying career since.

Infact the captain or first officer controls the take off, landing at several airports is via computer, captain or first officer. when landing by co pilot the option of overide is always there.
Oh and as is the option to overide computer/autopilot

The computer autoland's are easy to spot ... they are the smooth one's :LOL:

It is true with modern aviation that humans are generally only required to deal with the unexpected and most commercial aircraft are quite technically capable of flying to a destination, landing and stopping all on their own.

I certainly take comfort in the knowledge, though, that there are people with the skill of Pete Burkill and John Coward in the cockpit when the s**t happens ;)

MW

Sponsored Links
Back