Under-floor membrane and concrete blind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

hoping for some advice - a PCA damp surveyor's recommended that to help reduce moisture content in the sub-floor I need to have the floorboards lifted, clear the soil oversite of any debris, lay a membrane, then blind it with a thickness of concrete (at the same time as replacing any floor joists which have deteriorated due to the moisture levels).

I've a friend who's experienced enough with DIY to feel they can do this for me, though hasn't specifically done this before. I'm curious about any top tips anyone has or any things to be particularly careful of (or even, is getting a non-professional to do this a complete no-no!)

thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
jovo86, good evening.

Can I ask.
1/. What clearance is there between the flooring and the soil in the under build area?
2/. Is there any standing water on the surface of the earth under the floorboards?
3/. At what frequency around the property are the air bricks installed?
4/. What is the age of the house? and what are the external walls made from.
5/. Do you know if there is a clear airflow front / rear under the floorboards ?

Ken.

1 - not completely sure but the surveyor took a look and didn't suggest it was abnormal - from memory I'd say about 50/60cm perhaps?
2 - no
3 - I believe there are about 10 (relatively standard 3 bedroom sized house)
4 - 110 years - brick
5 - I think so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back