United Kingdom
Hi
I opened a tin of white undercoat...
prob 9 years old..
expecting to see a thick skin on top

but no... liquid ( some kind of oil ? )
and the heavy paint below

a good stir and it seemed ok

I painted some wood and putting it on it seemed like oil paint... almost gloss !

Sponsored Links
No point

I was kindof hoping someone would tell me
was it was.... oil or water based

It feels like oil paint brushing it on,
but after drying it looks a matt finish.

Doesn't it say on the tin? If the brush washes clean in water then it is WB, if you get in a right mess in the attempt then it is OB.

Coming from a family that never throws things away I have used older paint than that (with various degrees of success). If the tin isn't solid then it is useable.

Sponsored Links
my oldest was a tin of gloss( with Texas or Fads on the price tag) from 1988 that I had hoarded. Used it in 2010 at home not at customers. When lid come off I remembered the joys of indoor (oil based) glossing.

I did a job recently for a builder pal of mine and he had some unopened tins of Berger weather-coat from the 1980s. Opened them up, smelled ok, no separation, gave them a stir and put it on and it covered fine, a lovely drop of stuff to use too.

the paint prob 10 years old or more...
no skin on top... suppose it must be water based... still a good undercoat.... nice matt finish that will be a good base for oil paint on top.

The price of gloss paint though now
just bought a tin of green gloss

3/4 of a litre..... £9 .... ouch !

All oil based paints will separate over time. The oil is the Alkyd resin that is used in the paint. Once mixed back together, it should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back