Underfloor heating and radiator in same room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to rework my kitchen and as part of the work add low profile wet underfloor heating.

Having had a play with heat loss calculators, and given the available floor area not under cabinets and appliances to run heating pipes, I'm not able to get quite enough heating from the floor alone.

Is it possible to combine a wet underfloor heating circuit with a radiator in the same room?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Certainly and that provides a faster heat up than UFH alone.

The rad should be oversized a little and with a TRV so that as the room comes up to temperature the rad turns off and the UFH takes over the heating.

Certainly and that provides a faster heat up than UFH alone.

The rad should be oversized a little and with a TRV so that as the room comes up to temperature the rad turns off and the UFH takes over the heating.

Thanks for that, I was thinking along the lines of an oversized radiator with the lower flow temperature of the UFH.

Good point about fast warmup and the use of a TRV, I hadn't considered that. :)

I'd assume the radiator could just be connected directly back to the UFH manifold on its own port?

Sponsored Links

Rads are designed to run at a higher temperature than ufh. Drop their temp to ufh levels and you might as well not fit the rad.
It might also mean the rad only working when the ufh is on.

Quite common practice to have Bathroom towel rails connected directly to the UFH below.

OP, you can close band the pipes on the perimeter of the room, areas with no traffic can operate at a higher surface temperature.

Why not use a fan convector plinth type heater inserted in the kick space?? That would give you a quick blast of heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back