Underfloor heating controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, so over the holidays I'm planning to get some of the plumbing ready for the ufh system that will go in soon. So far I've decided where the manifold is going to be situated and I plan to run a set of flow and return pipes from the boiler. I have a valiant combination boiler which I plan to use with my ufh system and radiators. I've read that I will need a 2 port valve to control the flow in the 2 circuits but where in the system should this be installed? On the ch or ufh side? I'm assuming this is on the flow side.

Also any control systems that can control the ufh and rads you guys can recommend? Or do I have one for the ufh and another for ufh?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'll have a look at the Evohome system.

What about the 2 port valve?

Sponsored Links
I was under impression that in this case you would want the ability to isolate the radiator circuit and the underfloor circuit each with a valve, so that they can operate independently, or together, otherwise you will end up flowing water out to both, even if one isn't calling for heat? I.e. if the room temps are all satisfied by rads, but floor is still needing boiler flow, one of the 2 port would shut off to rads. Or early in the day the floor heating will have to come on around 5-6am but rads don't need to flow until maybe 7 am or so.

I guess the only way around that is smart valves on all rads, so that they all shut flow off, and as such effectively nothing would flow in rads when not required. But you would still want a 2 port on the flow to manifold, so that you aren't flowing there if ufh isn't calling for heat but rads are?

Is Evohome expensive? How does it compare with Nest/Hive?
They don't compare really.
EvoHome is a full control system designed to provide maximum efficiency gains, running cost savings, and room-level system zoning

Nest is a single-zone smart thermostat with intelligent control logic, designed to optimise efficiency and comfort by working out when your system should be on or off, and how long for.

Hive is an on/off switch with no built in efficiency algorithms, and is no more intelligent or energy efficient than the old round dial thermostats of 20 years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back