Underfloor heating insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hopefully a nice straight forward question.

Note I am a DIY-er!

I am in the process of having a kitchen extension built and have left 80mm for installing an underfloor heating system.

I understand that often the 100mm celotex floor insulation as required by building regs is left above the slab, however ours has been put underneath - so I need something to reflect the heat and give me something to clip the pipes into. What do I use?

The system will be a single zone kit that is branched off of the existing combi-boiler powered radiator system. One of the kits that comes with a mixed/pump unit.

Total area of the UFH will be around 12m2.

Appreciate any help

Cheers

Dallypro

Sponsored Links
I understand that often the 100mm celotex floor insulation as required by building regs is left above the slab, however ours has been put underneath - so I need something to reflect the heat

No you don’t.

The heating will warm the slab, which will slowly release the heat into the room. The insulation will prevent the heat from warming the ground underneath.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I have been misinformed, but I thought that the aim was to heat the screed that you put over the top, not the actual concrete foundation slab?

I have not seen any system where the pipes are laid directly onto the slab, they always have some form of insulation under them so that the heat goes up not down?!?

If the pipes do go directly onto the slab, am i correct in thinking I would need to use a rail clip system to keep them in place?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back