Underfloor heating pipes etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently in the process of getting an extension (bit like a porch) put onto the front of our house. The area will be part of our main hall once its finished (we are getting the front door relocated to the front of the extension and we are now thinking about heating.

The original plan was to fit a radiator but we are maybe thinking about underfloor heating.

The builder has laid an insulated concrete slab which currently is around about 50mm lower than the existing floor in the hall and I am wondering what the possability is of having underfloor heating in this area?

I can get 2 x 10mm copper pipes from the existing central heating supply down the wall to the floor, its from then onwards i am not sure.

The room is about 2m x 3m.

Ideally I would like some kind of inline thermostat (like our current DRAYTON TRV3s).

Any ideas ?

p.s. I am not really interested in the electric ones due to running cost and I would sooner use my existing high efficiancy combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
mark.....not sure of a diy/cheap way of doing it. the temp for the underfloor heating has to be around 50c. you cant just tap into the central heating...its too hot . the flow hasto mixed with the return etc to achive the right temp. this is done with the proprietery kit.

also they normally have there own pump...saying that your area is small...but have the temp issue

Sponsored Links
polypipe or hep2o make one return water temp is monitered & controlled by pipe stat in their unit comes as pack using 16 mm pipe

Could i just use a length of flexible 15mm plastic pipe (not sure how much?) and then fit an inline TRV ?

Its not a massive area (only 2m x 3m = 6m2) and so I dont realy want to spend a great deal - We had planned on just putting a small radiator in there so the original budget was around £200-£300ish. Some of the kits I have seen are designed for much larger areas (20-30m2) and are around the £600 mark.

I guess a length copper pipe is out of the question? (even if I wrap it in insulation tape?)

much easier using the speedplum item about £350 or so will look professional and add value to your property

SIMOND POLYPIPE USE THE DANFOS VALVE IN THEIR PACK COMES WITH 3/4 X 16 MM ADAPTORS LOCATION FROM ASTETIC POINT OF VIEW CAN BE TRICKY AT TIMES DEPENDING ON LAYOUT OF HEATING SYSTEM HAVE FITTED A FEW FOR COSTUMERS NO PROBLEM DONT FORGET INSULATION 7SCREED ISSUES

jpc had a look at the link depends if tis white pipe is user friendly or not otherwise good price same control as hep 2 0

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back