Underfloor heating structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking to install underfloor heating run from a central heating system. It would be a ground floor installation but the floor is wooden joists. I have had a brief look that insulating between the joists with king span laying the pipe work and applying a screed to get level with the top of the joists should be ok. However as I would have removed the original floor boards to do this work should they be reused or another form of flooring installed before my finished flooring which will wait her be a tile or stone. I'm aware that wood is not a great conductor of heat so laying wooden boards back on top of the joists and then laying tiles or stones on top of this would this not give out a great deal of heat to warm the room?

Sponsored Links
Think there might be some confusion, you wouldn't usually screed a wooden floor. Look at using spreader plates between the joists to carry the pipework, still insulate underneath. 22mm chipboard is probably the most common thing to lay over the top, though you could also use ply. 1" ply would be a perfect material to use to lay tiles over, and your tiler may insist on laying 6mm ply over the chipboard.

Hi thanks the option I saw with a screed was just used to cover the pipe work to bring the level up to the top of the joists so that it came into contact with whatever product was laid ontop

Sponsored Links
No nothing as yet. Basically the old boiler will be taken out and the new boiler will have to be fitted in a different place due to some removing of internal walls. I presume also having two systems will require a new type of hot water tank. But at the moment I was just looking at what options I would have available.

Remove the floor and put the insulation between the joists. Up to the height of the spreader plate as previously mentioned. If done correctly your pipe will sit level with the joist. You will be better fitting a ply lined oak floor as to stop warping.

Nath

I am currently installing Wavin/Hep2O joisted system between the joists in part of my house. It comprises polystyrene slabs slotted to take 16mm pipe and has aluminium heat spreader plates built in. Comes in various joist widths and depths.

I'm finishing the 'structure' with chipboard. We will then add laminate, vinyl, carpet or engineered timber flooring on top. Chipboard because we need to be able to use the rooms prior to sorting and laying the final floor finish!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back