Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Need some advice on our underfloor heating project.

We are wanting to put underfloor heating in our kitchen/dining room. The new extended is ok as plenty of depth for insulation and screed.

However, on the old part of building the floor depth is limited. My house is built on a big concrete slab above sits about 7cm to floor level. In this 7cm at the moment there is about 3-4cm of polystyrene style insulation followed by a thick sheet of plywood.

Anyone able to provide any advice
On what my options are for this area for underfloor heating? Looking at websites and YouTube videos it seems i May be able to rip up the ply and insulation to take me back down to the concrete slab. I am poss able to add a 2.5 cm insulation with pipes on top or grooved into the insulation and the. Apply about 5cm of liquid screed. Is this sufficient and is the insulation enough?

Or am I better of forgetting and sticking up a rad?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think underfloor heating if to be used as a primary heat source, you either dig up the floor and get a minimum 100mm of celetex down, or put in radiators.

Twaddle. I have an overlay ufh system on a solid concrete slab with no insulation and it works perfectly.

Maybe not the most thermally efficient but....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back