Underfloor insulated-still draughty-Membrain or building pap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 1930`s semi that is built up so has a 7-12 ft gap under the floorboards
I have put about 100mm of expanded urethane board cut to fit inbetween the joists but the house is still draughty in places, would I be able to cover the area below the insulation wit building paper or a breathable membrain?
this would be stapled to the underside and taped at any gaps

Thanks and happy easter

Ray

Sponsored Links
There should be no need to apply a membrane. If the insulation is well fitted and no discernible gaps, then the drafts are coming from somewhere else.

Have you paid attention to the joint between floor, wall and skirting boards, this is a notorious draft detail, due mostly to the differing expansion rates of the two dissimilar builds and the need to have clearance for it.
Expanding foam between the edge of the floor and the wall is a typical way to go, however the amount of movement between summer/winter is quite large therefore use of a membrane on the wall here will allow slip and would be good, unfortunately you have to remove the skirting's to achieve this. Another way (could also be inclusive) is to fit dry glazing tape along the bottom edge of the skirting making sure it has good compress-ability - a flexible seal.

If the drafts are coming from internal walls say between kitchen/lobby and lounge, where the temperature settings differ, this same technique will apply, and although it's more work at the time saves money in the long run.
Fit escutcheon plates, if poss, over external door locks, also draft proof the letter box where necessary. The external doors are also a source of drafts and these can be seen in the flame of a candle. Hold a lit candle a few inches away from a closed door/frame joint and move the candle in a parallel path to it slowly whilst watching the flame. In a no draft situation the flame will burn straight, where there's a draft it will burn away from it, small drafts = small amount of bend so watch very carefully. Where a draft is found mark on the door post/facing with chalk, which can be rubbed off easily, if there are a number of drafts replace whatever draft seals may be present, or fit draft seals - as applicable. Do the same with any windows, etc. to be certain all drafts are stopped, a lot of work at the time but cost effective in the long run...pinenot :)

Older houses (I got one too) were designed to be draughty!!!!

.........remember they had open fires which needed feeding with lots of air

you are likely to find that your house has loads of air bricks which feed air into the cavities, under the floor etc these should not be blocked up so forget cavity wall insulation (don't believe the hype when they say it wont block your air vents)

Be aware your house is nearly 100 years old and no doubt still very solid and rot free. I am personally of the opinion that you should be careful how far you go....

for example I ply boarded my lounge, fitted double glazing and now find the room fills with smoke if I light the fire and shut the door :eek:

On the other hand I have had to cover one of the air vents up in winter otherwise the prevailing wind causes condensation on the internal wall

Oh you have also proved what a load of rubbish insulating under the floor is in older houses (that was not a dig at you by the way it was aimed at building control)

As pinent has pointed out you need to work out where these draughts are coming from then come back....

Thanks for the replys, the underfloor insulation made a huge difference , we turned the boiler down to about 50% of its out put
I have always wet my had to find draughts, will try the candle
Thanks very much
Ray

Sponsored Links
Ahhhhhhhh - I thought you meant it hadn't worked at all!

please let us know what you find

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back