Underfloor ventilation needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We need more ventilation for the underfloor as there is a mangy smell of mouldy damp coming up from there. The new floor has all been laid so its a bit late to do anything drastic. Fitting a new telecoping airbrick sounds like its going to cost lots of money and make a mess. The external walls are two bricks thick, don't think there's an air gap, with render on the outside and plaster on the inside. The walls are about 250mm thick in all and the outside pavement and inside floor are about level.

How about this - get a 12x450mm sds plus masonry bit and drill a line of say 10 holes diagonally down from low down the wall outside so that the bit comes out below the floorboards. Then cover the holes with a 3x9" white plastic louvre cover. I'd drill a bit out just below the holes (like an upside down tick) so water wouldn't run down. I never saw a dpc, its a1850's slum with lime render on the front i think.

There's an airbrick at the other end of the room so there will be over/underpressure difference. I may do a Totalamateur airbrick on the other side of the room too to avoid any dead air spaces.

Its really pretty windy down here on the sussex coast so that may make up for having less of a ventilation hole.

I know there aren't any wires or pipes in the way because i've just finished doing up the place.

Really grateful for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back