underground rainwater pipes falloff slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

I've just had my plastic underground pipes dug up for about the fourth time due to leaks.

The builder fastidiously replaced all the couplers and put the pipework back. Then assured me the trench was ready to backfill with shingle and topsoil. So I ordered and infilled a ton of shingle, then finished with topsoil. It was a muddy backbreaking job, since the soil contained hardcore which I carefully removed by hand with a rake.

I then decided to check the falloff angle on the last remaining bit near the house and found, to my horror, the pipe is going uphill. I have to tilt the 18 inch spirit level an inch to get a moderate fall.

I've read that sewer pipes need a 1:40 fall, but is it the same for underground rainwater pipes?

I can't quite believe I've got to dig it all up again. I suppose the only blessing is it's surrounded by pea gravel so I'll avoid trashing the couplers with the digger.

Best
Tom

Sponsored Links
hi there

I've read that sewer pipes need a 1:40 fall, but is it the same for underground rainwater pipes?

Tom
No it`s not - so you could leave it - but I`d put an accesible ( bottle gulley ) @ the bottom of the rainwater downpipe , so if there is any silt you can shift it :idea: That would be a good idea even if the pipes had a fall . So you get over a c*ck up and end up with a better job anyway ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back